Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B207 Briggs Magneto

powermax_paul

I hooked the motor back up after re-installing it in the B207 and there's a spare wire dangling out of the top shroud. Motor seems to run fine w/o it, and it wasn't connected to anything before. What's it for? Paul

Probably and extra wire for other accessories, other lights and etc. Did you get your grill made???

Marion, I'm planning to make a grille in the next few days. The perfed aluminum I found has oa pattern of about 1/16" holes in a 1/4 " grid with much smaller holes (say 1/64") creating lines that box around the 1/16" holes. I'll try it and let you know how it works. Pat, My Briggs has a belt drive starter/generator. Model 170701 Type 0721-01 Code 7003300. I haven't had the need to take the top off as the engine is clean, runs well, and doesn't smoke. I'm assuming it's the original engine or at least the correct model for a B207. I have one of the wires connected to the insulated terminal at the throttle/governor mechanism where I've also connected the ignition switch wire. Paul

Is your 207 equipped with electric start? Is it the original engine with the belt drive starter/generator, or a replacement with a gear drive starter? Without knowing more specifics, it is difficult to tell. It could be an additional kill wire. One kill wire would go to the ignition switch on the dash, and one would go to the kill switch at the governer control to shut the engine off when the throttle is moved past "idle". It could be an alternator wire. Some alternators are dual circuit, AC/DC. One wire provides DC current for charging the battery, and the other provides AC current to run the lights. It would help to know where the wire comes from. Does it come from the ignition coil, or if equipped with points, come from the point box under the flywheel? It it comes from either of these places, it is a kill wire. Does it come from an alternator stator under the flywheel? If so, is there one or two wires coming of the stator? Pat

I would assume by the engine numbers that this is the original engine. If that is the case, the wire should be an additional ground for the magneto. I would just tape it off and leave it since you have connected the ignition switch to the governer control. When you have to get to the points for replacement or whatever, just eliminate that wire. Pat