Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler M17 Engine

MikeES

The gentleman I bought a M18 from to re-ring,   had it to put into his Gravely after re-ringing.  He told me the only difference between the M18, and the 16hp version Gravely used was only the Governed speed.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, as a vertical I believe it should have an MV model designation to it, as would the M18 / MV18.   That being said, Kohler's site is great for owners and service manuals, and there are neither for a M17 or MV17.  I believe it may have been a proprietary designation for CUB, for whatever reason.  Those are the only Magnums I have seen with a 17 rating;  CUB vertical engines.  I don't think there is an actual Magnum 17 horse engine.  JMHO

4 minutes ago, LMichaels said:

FWIW the photo shows a horizontal shaft engine not a vertical

That's what I thought at first also.  But it's a vertical; check the position of the dipstick - if it were horizontal, they're be oil everywhere. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Some years of the production run, the blocks were the same, it is possible to make a vertical into a horizontal.  Someone here did it pretty sure. have to change intake, oil pump pickup, dipstick etc.

• Like 1

I think it was born a vertical, look at the decals on the head tins. 

That pipe sticking out of the sump/closure plate must be the oil drain??

In my most humble opinion, this is not a converted engine and was a vertical from the git-go. The decals on the tins, the oil fill, the mounting plate at the crank (which is entirely different from a horizontal "closing plate"), and again, the 17 HP designation that I have only seen on verticals for a CUB.  I am not saying that simply because I have only seen the 17 on a CUB vertical that that's the only 17 Magnum ever built, but that's the only place I have seen them.  That and the fact that there isn't any Kohler manual for a 17 horsepower Magnum all leads me to believe this was a proprietary engine for CUB.  

Or, I could be completely wrong.  It has happened before.  Once I think.  When I was 5.  Or was is it 6?...................&:)

Edited by Brettw
  • Haha 3

Brett is correct. The Cub 1730 is a vertical shaft tractor. I have the 917H with the converted engine. I bought it from Darin Butcher (Country) who originally did the conversion. 

IMG_9467.thumb.jpg.5b0e3f0af18d6c0c5ee67ed43c30f210.jpg

Nice to know I can still remember some things.

Unlike where I left that special wrench, or what I was supposed to get at the grocery store :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2