Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow blowing woes

puttputt

We got a dumping of snow last night so I fired up the Sun Star to blow some driveways. On the 6th driveway, I hadn't noticed that one of my tire chains came off and I managed to pick it up with the blower. It killed the engine quite quickly I might say!. It wasn't difficult to untangle the chains from the blower but when I climbed back on and pulled out the pto button, the driveshaft turned but the blower didn't. So I removed the end shield that covers the drive chain and had a look. Turns out, the cast drive flange broke where the spline is for the key. So I look up the part on the web and I find that little flange is $113.00 US . I'm in Canada so that's like a million dollars Canadian. Plus it's a back ordered item. So I think, "what the heck, I'll try ebay". Low and behold I find a new in package drive flange from a seller. And the best part---only about $47.00 Canadian!! So the day turned out not too bad after all cause it could have been a lot worse. In the pic below, it's number 24 that broke. I kind of thought there would be a shear pin somewhere in case this kind of thing happened.sbparts.thumb.png.d35012c7de7e6a219e7cb7ff2e945ac9.png

Are you familiar with the Sovereign drive line?

The flange (yoke) that broke and the connecting disk (part #21) look like the parts that connect the Sovereign drive shaft to the BGB.  There were 2 diameter yokes, 3/4” for older FDT, and 7/8” for the newer RBT’s.  

If they’re the same, they should be available used, especially the later 7/8” ones.  

15 hours ago, puttputt said:

I'll have to try and see if they are the same. Mine is 3/4" diameter.

The FDT BGB yoke (3/4" bore) is part #154198.  

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

The FDT BGB yoke (3/4" bore) is part #154198.  

Would that maybe be 2154198? If so, it is the same number that this snowblower yoke is.

2 minutes ago, puttputt said:

Would that maybe be 2154198? If so, it is the same number that this snowblower yoke is.

Yes, I believe so.

First round of "superseded" Simplicity numbers was to add a "2" in front of the original number.  Around the time Briggs bought Simplicity and then after other mergers, letters ("SM", "ASM", etc) were added to the end of the part number.  

26 minutes ago, spi said:

Wow, I have a couple of those in my junk box, Didn't realize they were made of gold.

That's why I snapped up that one I found on ebay new for $34.00 US which was mailed today. So I really don't need one right now but it might be an idea to pick up a spare in case this happens again.

Edited by puttputt