Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler CH20

Brettw

So, I know this isn't the place for a classified ad, and I did post this in the classifieds but not everyone looks there.  But I have come across a Mobile welder with a CH20 in it.  It starts and runs great and it still welds and is also a 10,00 watt generator.  I got it given to me in trade.  I wanted it for the engine, but now that I have it I hate to pull the engine and scrap the rest.  So I would be willing to trade it for a very good CH18-20 or M18-20 (that's what this engine is) or a 7100 series with a CH18?.  I wanted to put this here to bring this to as many as possible.  Not everyone has use for a mobile welder, or a 10k generator, but I just hate to see it go to the scrap yard.

If the moderators want to remove this, I completely understand.

Give me a call if you are interested and we can talk.  414-807-7182  P.S.  This thing weighs about 700 #'s so we would need to figure out how to load it.  I can deal with it if i pull the motor ans scrap it, but full unit is HEAVY.

Brett

IMG_4477.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4481.JPG

Edited by Brettw
Pics
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Do these units run a 1" shaft or is it a tapered shaft?

Good question, Mark.  If no one has an interest I will be disassembling it and will let you know.  It is a generator, so it's quite possibly tapered?  I'm going to give it another week just to see and then I am going to pull the engine. 

On 1/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, Brettw said:

Well all, it looks like it's going under the knife....

So how'd the organ harvest go?

Still wrenchin'.   It was quite the chore to get the engine out of the unit.  And the engine generator portion must have weighed 250+#'s all by itself.  A lot of disassembly just to get to the bolts that held on the generator housing to the engine.  It's all out, now I am working on removing the armature.  It's fairly big and heavy, the shaft does appear to be tapered, and, like a flywheel I have to use a puller or other to remove it.  I have looked online at some methods.  I hope to have it all done this weekend, all the scrap cleaned up and loaded in the truck, and the fuel tank drained and made safe for disposal.  

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

Txs for the update.

Looks like a lot of grunting was required with the disassembly.  

If you can’t get the armature to pull off, will you consider cutting it off, shaft included?  (Won’t use that end of the crank if it’s going in a Sovereign)

Know ya don't want to hear this but wish I'd found your post sooner, 

we could have figured out something as I could really use a welder like that.

0:)may it RIP

15 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Know ya don't want to hear this but wish I'd found your post sooner, 

we could have figured out something as I could really use a welder like that.

0:)may it RIP

Dang.  I really did hate to pull it apart.  A really good deal for anyone who could have used it, and less work for me while still getting an engine or the funds for one.  That is a shame.  

As far as cutting off the armature, I have thought about that as the tapered crank does not allow for a Sunstar application, just a Sovereign.  But I hate doing things like that.  I will do all I can to remove it befor I get to that point.

Success.  Made a special rod to insert to use with a puller.  Took a lot of pressure on the puller, but it popped off just like when using a puller on a flywheel, just a sudden pop and it's laying there.  Lastly will be draining the fuel tank and making it safe for the scrap yard.  

IMG_4522.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG

IMG_4529.JPG

• Like 1