Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PhanDad

It it a Simplicity??

PhanDad

Bumped into this on Craigslist:

00N0N_b0h2nkb0en_1200x900.jpg

It's posted as a "Simplicity Hit and Miss".  Black tag that can be seen resembles an older Simplicity name plate.  

I don't see a big flywheel, so I doubt it's a "hit & miss" engine.  Looks like a Briggs single cylinder CI engine to me.  But what do I know?  

I'm waiting to hear what some of our "walker" members have to say.

I did post the ad in the eBay/Craigslist forum:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/62196-simplicity-hit-and-miss-50-dauphin/

MrSteele

Well, it resembles a M1 walk behind. The apparatus on the front is likely a home built attachment. The steel wheels? Also likely built from scratch in his shop. As for the nameplate on the engine, that is where Briggs nameplates were on older model engines. I have a 1952 with a Model 9 engine. Try going to your local small parts business and ordering parts for that. NOT in any computer, either fiche or paper catalog. It is no a hit and miss, likely either a 3 or 5 HP Briggs. A Model 9 is a 3 HP, but weighs at least as much as a modern 21 HP. The 2 stage pulley is Simplicity. You want it to go faster? Use a different groove! The nameplate on the frame is exactly where it should be. I do like the soup can muffler, though! That muffler is worth the sale price.

Incidentally, I gave $30 for my tractor, needed 1 tire, and that cost me $130

• Sad 1

SmilinSam
7 minutes ago, B-16_IC said:

I'd check it out if it was close, just because. 

Is there anyone in here who couldnt claim those words as a motto ?9_9

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

MrSteele

I am dickering on a 1978 engine, never had gas or oil in, and is free..price is a bit steep, but I will likely give him what he asks. 326431. I have no need, BUT

Whoever bought the M1, got a bargain. If one of us, I know the engine, will be glad to help make it run