Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

For the rattle can users

MrSteele

The old model Landlords could be painted with Plasti-coat #200 Chevy engine orange and an Ace Hardware Navajo White. Well, guess what? Ace has discontinued the color completely, so of you folks want some, run down to your favorite store and buy their stock. I just had 6 cans shipped to an Ace Hardware near me. The Plasti-coat(Valspar) brand was purchased by Sherwin Williams, and the new company is discontinuing the Plasti-coat paint line. I am 3/4 finished with my tractor, and have found 6 cans in a warehouse in PA. I am in Alabama....I need to paint the hood and touch up the right side of the tractor. I am assuming that the Duplicolor replacement is a shade off, or, and entire repaint if I do not get the Plasti-coat from PA. Oh, well. I decided to repaint, now wish I had left it alone with mechanical improvements, only

• Like 2

Ran into the same problem with the rustoleum chevy red/orange. Found a seller on Ebay with some cans for sale, so that saved my tractor project that was going on. They still make the chevy orange, but its too orange..

Same thing also happened to me with valspar regal blue. A perfect match for the homelites. The company kept the regal blue name but darkened the color ruining it for a Homelite match.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 2

My local Fleet Farm carries "Old 55" brand paint and their M47870 Gloss A.C. Persian Orange #2  that matches the color of my 3410S.  It comes in rattle can or by the quart.  In the picture below the mower deck has been repainted with this color and the tractor frame is original.  The hood is painted with Old 55  M47170 International Off White, it's not an exact match to original but once I get the wheels painted it will look better.

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, I had started with a can of Ace Navajo White, found and bought the 6 other cans. Totally different color than the first can I had, so I had to start over, anyway. There is a Navajo White in Rustoleum 2x paint that would have sufficed in starting over. I still did OK, though. The Ace paint, since it was discontinued cost me $1.99 a can. The Rustoleum is $3.95. Granted, I bought 6 cans, but the leftover is a pleasing color that can be used on things other than Landlord. As good as it sprays and covers, it can even be a good undercoater for a finish of some other color, saving money in the long run.

The Duplicolor Chevrolet Engine Red-Orange, # DE 1607 is a dead match to the Plasti-Kote Chevy Engine Orange #200. I sprayed some on part of the frame, got my wife who sees colors perfectly to look, and she could tell no difference.

If a Persian Orange is a match to the later model tractors, I am wondering if Simplicity changed their orange paint. The Landlords of the 60s seem to have more red in the orange than Persian Orange of AC. Just wondering aloud. I have a buddy down the road that uses AC farm equipment. Before I started repainting, my Landlord was much more red than his old, unpainted tractors. He has several in the restoration phase, and will repaint with Allis Persian Orange

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The early machines were definitely more red than later machines.  I have some nos items from what I assume is later fdt production and the color is entirely and consistently different than earlier production.  Not sure when the changes occurred, but a 725, as an example, appears to be a different color than a 3112, when side by side. 

I removed the foot dragging...foot rest on my tractor today. The Duplicolor engine paint matched, almost perfectly. There is a bit more red in original paint, but after painting, who really can tell or cares? I have a freshly painted machine

• Like 1