Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2012 First Test Plowing After Winter Storm Gia

laytonlight

The 2012 Landlord that I did minor restoration on as a working tractor passed its first test plowing about 18" of snow over the weekend. I first went out Friday night after there was about 8" or so on the ground and plowed. Woke up the next day and there was about 8" more and still snowing. Tried to plow Saturday and kept spinning even with wheel weights as it was a very wet snow and the ground underneath was wet, not frozen. Last night I put the weights on the rear lift arm and I was able to plow successfully. First time I've plowed with a Hydro. My left arm thanked me! sm06

2012 Front-Small.jpg

2012 Rear Small.jpg

2012 Side Small.jpg

WS Gia Driveway 1.jpg

WS Gia Driveway 2.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, laytonlight said:

The 2012 Landlord that I did minor restoration on as a working tractor passed its first test plowing about 18" of snow over the weekend. I first went out Friday night after there was about 8" or so on the ground and plowed. Woke up the next day and there was about 8" more and still snowing. Tried to plow Saturday and kept spinning even with wheel weights as it was a very wet snow and the ground underneath was wet, not frozen. Last night I put the weights on the rear lift arm and I was able to plow successfully. First time I've plowed with a Hydro. My left arm thanked me! sm06

@laytonlight, the old Landlord is looking good!

Here in Jefferson City (40mi south) on Friday night pushed about 3.5" wet snow and and then another 6-7" wet stuff on Saturday morning. I had to hang 3-50# Simplicity suitcase weights off the rear of the Conquest, one more than I've ever hung back there before but the wet snow required. I pushed snow at an angle off the drive Friday night so the sides of the drive wouldn't restrict my Saturday plow. We received around 10-12" in total here but less than you I believe. 

5c3bce6255dfe_bGAm34FSbCmhBQbolrbqQ.thumb.jpg.c53e108798e40b31098670cd73134c45.jpg

5c3bcc3294255_ONtnIc5mT3CBXOSslZO7g.thumb.jpg.0f5754923ab5e6f035ad9308c901b21a.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Gene,

Good to see you dug out OK and that you didn't lose power. My power blinked a couple of times but stayed on. That would have really sucked to have to do all of that without power in the house or shop! I haven't measured here, but I may have been a little over zealous in my estimate of snowfall. Total in Columbia, officially was 16.10, but I think that's at Columbia Airport & I'm about 15 miles north of that. I knew one like this was coming. I even fashioned a "winterizing kit" out of some galvanized tin I had in the shop for the Briggs but didn't need it as it was warm enough and the snow wasn't blowing on to the engine. I think some of my trees and shrubs may have taken a beating from the wet snow. Hard to tell until after it melts. Oh, and my mailbox bought it big time from the plows. I just went on line and ordered a hold for two weeks on my mail until I could get it put back up. Another trip to Home Depot I guess. Nice and warm in your shop?

Mailbox Post Gia.jpg

5 hours ago, GregB said:

Think he meant Hydro Lift 

Yes I did. It has the standard 3 Speed Transmission. I put the 10" drive pulley on it for low speed stuff like this and gardening. I keep forgetting that "Hydro" can mean the transmission also.

Edited by laytonlight
Clarity

And more snow predicted this weekend. There have been a lot of older pole buildings and sheds collapsing under the weight of the snow throughout MO.