Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New(ish) Member Introduction

Capt Mac

I registered on the site awhile back and have found some helpful information here over the past months.  I wanted my first post to be a quick introduction.  I've been a fan of Sears Suburban tractors since I was a young boy, and own a few.  It was not until my wife and I purchased a Simplicity Powermax 4041 last year that I learned about these fabulous engineering marvels.  We picked up an overall good condition 4041 with a Danco SV-41 loader and Johnson 710 backhoe.  It has been quite the handy addition around the house and yard. 

Most of the work done to it so far has been PM, or fixing a few cobbled repairs that appeared to have lasted a long time.   We've used it to plow snow, dig trenches, transport firewood, unload and move a boiler and cruise around. 

I plan to post a few projects when time permits.

IMG_20180306_165732330.jpg

IMG_20190119_145222691.jpg

IMG_20190119_145314925.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome to the site....What took you so long? We have  been waiting on you. sm03

I also am a closet fan of Sears tractors having bought and sold a few over the years. Don't be afraid to show off a few of your Sears tractors as most of us like them all to one extent or another.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Welcome to the site....What took you so long? We have  been waiting on you. sm03

I also am a closet fan of Sears tractors having bought and sold a few over the years. Don't be afraid to show off a few of your Sears tractors as most of us like them all to one extent or another.

Welcome very nice tractor , I've had a few mostly Allis , always wanted a backhoe but never followed thru to purchase on 

Sears tractors had a few pulling tractors loved the two spd so by all means post them

Very nice Powermax.  They are quite the machine, no question.  Welcome aboard, you will find almost any question you ask to be answered.  Some times the answers are even correct!

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

On 1/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, ShaunE said:

Inquisitive minds would like to see the mounting method & hydraulic power method to your backhoe!

Shaun,

The backhoe is a sub-frame mount anchored rather stoutly.  A Vickers V-10 hydro pump is driven by the 2,000 rpm rear PTO shaft and 'float' mounted to a piece of channel beneath. The splined shaft / coupler was spitball balanced by a prior owner. I removed the pump last spring, broke it down to service (the vanes were in impeccable shape) and attempted to de-couple the shaft to no avail. Project for a later date - cut, weld and balance.  I suspect it will eliminate a fair amount of eccentric wobble when she spins.  The reservoir is plate welded to the bulkhead of the unit.  Pretty slick little unit.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, PGL said:

That's an impressive load of logs.  Have you got a splitter that can handle them?

PGL,

I do in fact. My great uncle was a Navy Seabee who could build anything. He built the most robust, titan splitter I have ever come across.  Though lately I've been using the good ole 8# maul to burn off the holiday egg nog.

I just installed a 1968 Snow Thrower on my '71 SS12 this weekend in preparation of the forecasted 2" of snow, 2" of rain, and 2" of ice. It performed quite well, throwing the Slurpee consistency crud a ways!

I did a complete overhaul and rebuild of the rear PTO clutch and shaft (on the 4041) over the last few weeks and hope to get a post up soon with pics.  I read with angst the tribulations many faced sourcing the properly sized bearings.  Good news - they are all readily available and under $30.

IMG_20190122_113059288.jpg

IMG_20190122_113110525.jpg

710.jpg

Welcome aboard Mike. That's a nice looking and well equipped Powermax! We have several members in MA and eastern states area and some with Powermax interests. Hope you consider joining as I think you'll find the information here is a real value for $10 dues.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Capt Mac said:

The backhoe is a sub-frame mount anchored rather stoutly.  A Vickers V-10 hydro pump is driven by the 2,000 rpm rear PTO shaft and 'float' mounted to a piece of channel beneath. The splined shaft / coupler was spitball balanced by a prior owner. I removed the pump last spring, broke it down to service (the vanes were in impeccable shape) and attempted to de-couple the shaft to no avail. Project for a later date - cut, weld and balance.  I suspect it will eliminate a fair amount of eccentric wobble when she spins.  The reservoir is plate welded to the bulkhead of the unit.  Pretty slick little unit.

Very nice! The pictures will be greatly appreciated as well.

I love mine & I refer to them as the "Holy Grail" of attachments.

Those logs, how did you get them stacked so high? I'm impressed the front axle didn't break. What does each of those weigh? A 150 lb?