Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Clubhouse -like driving a new truck

SmilinSam

Last week I traded of my plain jane 95' S-10 (base truck) for a newer one. Now I'm driving a 97' GMC Sierra ext cab. Tilt wheel, cruise, am/fm/cass, dual airbags, gauge pkg, tow pkg, V-8 auto, Chrome push bar, step bar, bed rails, alloy wheels, etc etc....soon to have custom lettering on the doors, custom plates, a rear window gaurd, and a power winch. ABSOLUTELY perfect for picking up old orange garden tractors. So whats that have to do with the new clubhouse??......well..I'll tell you. Just like driving a new unfamiliar truck takes a little getting used to so does the new clubhouse. But, once you settle in and see what you now have vs what was........you never look back....... My trade from the S-10 to the Sierra is a good analogy, because the change is just as dramatic..and ENJOYABLE!!! Go on you guys who havn't.....jump in the clubhouse and take a good test drive.[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_content.asp']http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_content.asp[/a]

Sam, Your new truck analogy is good except for one thing. I'll bet you paid for that new truck. Many people think what they buy is good, and that which is free is worthless.

Kent: (and I know you're here, like the playwright lurking outside the ticket booth, listening to what people are saying as they come out). And you should be proud, as I'm sure I would like the new site, if I were allowed to go there. Yeah, it's true, I was going to have to say goodbye until I got a new computer, as mine is absolutely ALLERGIC to Netscape 6 (a PIG, by any other name, IMHO, and no offense to you, or the people it uses). However, I inadvertently went to the new site, following the tractor link, above, and I saw the new, (very bright) page. I immediately backed out and, like Daddycat and his new 725, I "checked all my parts." Yep! Still here. *Phew*! (I think I've lost some computer-functionality each time I brush up against Netloss.) Does my simply looking upon the "promised land" mean I can groove on the new site with my old IE "Version 4.eyedunno," or was that some sort of a Matrix-like simulation I saw, when using the link, above? 'Cause I read "no new site w/o NetSCRAPE 6." So, am I trippin', as they say in Brooklyn, or what? Peter

Peter, I'm currently testing it with IE 5.5 and 6.0, Netscape 6.2, AOL 6.0 and AOL 7.0. Based upon the site visitor stats -- that's covering well over 90% (close to 95%) of the users. All the functionality seems to be there in all those browsers, with two "nits" for Netscape 6.2: 1. The "Close this Window" link on some of the popup windows may not work reliably (it's Javascript) -- you might have to click the "X" in the corner to close it... 2. The "Tool Tips" don't display the text explanation, only a "?" over the cursor... I try to test with Netscape 4.73 but the current error blows up and leaves too few clues to track down what's going on. Netscape changed their underlying logic (i.e. HTML document model) several times, and several close releases -- 4.7, 4.73, 4.75, 4.77, and 4.79 could give totally different errors. I'm NOT testing on IE version 4.0, though most things should work fine -- it should display the page and most navigation links that don't involve Javascript popup windows or something. IE has kept the same underlying structure since 4.0 and has just added new support for new HTML tags, etc. If you don't like Netscape 6.2 so strongly why don't you just download IE 5.5 or 6.0 -- they're free! You've already said you have an old copy of IE, and you've survived that.... Kent

Yes, Mike, and the mule I gardened with as a kid was even simpler than these tractors -- but I don't want to go back... only forward....

Kent: I didn't know that IE 5.5 or 6.0 would get me in. Thanks! I'll do it. Do you know which IE, of these two, takes less "clock"? I've got a blistering 233 mhz clock speed in this computer. Yeah, I know.... Thank you for identifying those two "nits." They seem insignificant, but might have been frustrating if you hadn't flagged them. Sorry for my negative attitude re: Netscape, but it screwed a lot of my files up. I can no longer see any pics I save on my hard drive--it wants aNetscape 6.2 DLL file it can't find, etc.... And that's just one example. Hopefully a new computer is in the works soon anyway..., so ultimately, I will be able to fully appreciate the new site, but I'll try the IE update anyhow. Just the testing you mention, and figuring out you've covered 95% of the users' software, for example, gives an indication of all the work you are doing. I wouldn't want you to think my Netscape Negativity keeps me from appreciating the new site, or all of your efforts. It doesn't. I just resent when software "updates" come out that work slower, and worse, than the previous version. Thanks again. Peter

Peter, I'd recommend the latest IE 6.0, since it has fixed some security issues. I don't think you'd notice any significant difference in how fast they (5.5 vs 6.0) operate, regardless of how fast your computer is... The difference in the speed between older versions of Netscape and IE were intentional, philosophical design and consequently technical differences. If IE encounters an error in the HTML (like a missing end tag -- every HTML tag has a begin [tag] and an end [/tag] tag), it tries to render the page anyway. Netscape simply ignores any errors and doesn't even try to render them onto the page. Consequently, Netscape will show you a page faster than IE, but IE will show you more of what was intended to be there... Kent

Sam, Couldn't agree more. I tend to treat the new clubhouse the same as learning a new software package. It takes a little time, but the investment is worth it!! I have several years experience working in the IT department of a large corporation (Siemens). We were always upgrading software to get better productivity, improved communication, and reduced maintenance. I'm talking BIG stuff...... SAP/R3, MS Exchange, Hyperwave Information Server, Oracle databases of immense size, etc. It would take a while to get everyone onboard, but the upgrades were always worth the time. Imagine if we had to do our word processing today with a DOS based program or publish web pages with WordStar 1.0. It just couldn't be done. I sure stirred up a can of worms today with my post linking to the new clubhouse. But, its time we all get into the new groove. Believe me, its worth all the effort. Just having the ability to upload images directly to the club server rather than linking to my ISP server is a BIG improvement. Hey you'all, give the new clubhouse a good try, you'll like it after a while. What did you think of the Tractor of Tomorrow. The number of hits (over 200, all posts have a hit counter which is a good feature) was a surprise to me. Dave[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=45']http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=45[/a]