Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Problem with Hydrostatic trans on 7117

mrmopar

Was clearing snow and noticed what thought I smelt a belt slipping. At the time I was traveling and the blower was disengaged and was moving at full speed. I was unable to find any problem and spent more than an hour blowing heavy wet snow with engine running full speed but slow travel speed with no smell or indication of trouble. When I went to bring unit back to garage I again had blower disengaged but was traveling at full speed when I again noticed the burning belt smell and tractor did not seen to want to go at high speed. I am hard of hearing and thought I might have heard noise from hydro but am not sure. I checked the fluid and it is full. The problem seems to only happen when traveling at more than 2/3 speed. It works fine when under full load. Has anyone run into this situation before or any ideas what to check for. Thanks

If you have used the pedal to stop the tractor, many times the idler pulley assembly is sticky and does not return all the way.  Most times, many don't ever use the pedal and only use it in emergencies, or to aid in starting a very cold tractor.  So they get rusty and a bit sticky.  Perhaps check that first.  It is under the seat on the right hand side.  You will see the idler setup move by pushing the brake pedal down.  Look to see if it fully and easily returns.  

• Like 2

What @Brettw said.

Here's a pic:

IMG_4785a.thumb.jpg.5a3d32bb58b1972b2ce81135153e3d21.jpg

As Brett said, if the idler pulley isn't moving freely, remove the bolt circled in white.  The bolt tightens the spacer that's inside the pivot tube (the spacer is longer than the pivot tube on the idler bracket).  The idler bracket should rotate freely on the spacer, if it doesn't, remove the idler bracket from the tractor and persuade the spacer out to the tube.  Clean both the spacer and tube up, add some lube and you'll be good to go.  

(Note the spring and brake band rod aren't attached in the pic)

• Like 1

Thank you both, Bill and Brett. That was the first thing I looked at. I worked the clutch petal and the pulley moved freely disengaging and engaging the drive belt and the pulley was spinning so I immediately was thinking the transmission. Since the tractor has a cab mounted it is difficult to get in there. I just went out again for another look. Without the engine running I reached in and got ahold of the pulley only to find the bearing in the pulley is shot plus I could easily turn it. It is not tightening the belt tight enough. It was tight enough to run the tractor slow when blowing this heavy snow but when I shoved the hydro. lever all the way forward it was slipping a little. So I know what I have to do.                               I can't believe I over looked such a simple thing. I have been using these tractors since 1970 and have done my own maintenance. My boys and I used to have a lawn and garden service cutting grass, rototilling gardens, vacuum leaves and snowblowing. I am now retired and currently have a 7016, 7117, 7119, (3) Sovereign's, 5010, CT-10 Homelite 917 Deutz Allis, and a Simplicity Sunrunner. 

Thank you

Ted

• Like 2

A fine start of a collection! 666 Welcome home. You are definitely in the right place. 

P.S. We love pictures.

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 1

Good deal.  That's why we all come here, for answers.  Well, that and to talk BS and smack and cry on each others shoulders, and.........

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, PhanDad said:

PS - Based on your screen-name, I'm guessing you have a Mopar collection too. 

Either that, or he has a 426 hemi in the 5010...............

Edited by Brettw
  • Haha 2

Over time we use our machines and equipment and we tend to miss things.

Especially when we need to get the job done. 

I am not sure if it is needed but I always got into the habit of releasing the idler tension when I park the machine.

Then once running again I pull the lever back to gain tension.

I just replaced both of my belts. Was not too horrible. Completely serviced the pulley bearings, pivots, etc...

One of the bearings was kind of tight. The blower one IIRC. I have a 7116. I love it.

Glad you figured out the issue. Might be a good idea for a new belt as it may likely have stretched if you have a bad pulley

• Like 2