Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gasoline resistant sealant?

bruker1

The gasket that's between the sending unit and fuel tank my Prestige isn't sealing all that well. I'm going to replace the gasket with a new one and I'd also like to apply some sealant to help it seal. Any recommendations? 

I've used "Seal-All" to seal the crack that developed at the top of my Homelite gas tank:

IMG_5729.thumb.jpg.b83bf94426eaf861dbfbd0553001e918.jpg

It's held up for years of gasoline sploshing on it.  The package states "contact adhesive/sealant".  I'd call it more of an adhesive, I don't think you'd get it apart once it sets up.  

Permatex makes this:

85420.jpg

I've never used it, but it's supposed to resist all automotive fuels.  

Just look for a sealant that says it' designed for putting crankcase halves together.. Most are gas resistant, especially if designed for 2 cycle engines. Most major brand makers have such sealant in their product line.

I like permatex products..and that permashield  good is good stuff...I have also used this...I had a '53 chevy that had no gasket between the carb and manifold, that was the design, believe it or not....this stuff worked fine...both are compatible with gasoline...I do notice on the permashield that is specifically mentions compatibility with ethanol...and then there is Aviation grade permatex.......a good auto parts store or plumbing supply will have them....if you buy the aviation grade....you may pay a little more, but that container will last you a long time and it is very versatile material

spray tack.jpg

aviation permatex.jpg

• Like 1

image.png.c87fbc2d35b199a50f1b05599c0e3cda.png                                                        Old timer's favorite.......can't be beat!!

Edited by deebig

27 minutes ago, deebig said:

image.png.c87fbc2d35b199a50f1b05599c0e3cda.png                                                        Old timer's favorite.......can't be beat!!

I like it ...if for no other reason than it is a permatex product...but it is recommended for diesel and other shop fluids...does not say anything about using it with gasoline

Per Jim @ Simplicity Technical Support, no Permatex products were allowed into the Simplicity factory when the paint department was in the same building.  The claim was the vapors from the Permatex products effected the paint adhesion.  

I'm sure most of you think I'm full of spit, but that was a true blue conversation I had with him over the phone about three years ago.

They only used Loctite in the Simplicity plant according to him.

Having said that, I have numerous Permatex products in my tool box as well as Loctite & Threebond products.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, deebig said:

If you have an air cooled Volkswagon, this is what you use on the engine. I have used several bottles of this. Hard to take apart once it is set. This sets hard, therefore do not use on anything that must flex.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ShaunE said:

Per Jim @ Simplicity Technical Support, no Permatex products were allowed into the Simplicity factory when the paint department was in the same building.  The claim was the vapors from the Permatex products effected the paint adhesion.  

I'm sure most of you think I'm full of spit, but that was a true blue conversation I had with him over the phone about three years ago.

They only used Loctite in the Simplicity plant according to him.

Having said that, I have numerous Permatex products in my tool box as well as Loctite & Threebond products.

The vapors causing paint problems does not surprise me at all. I used to work in a Chrysler dealership. There was a few time when the auto body paint man was more than a little ticked off when a new paint job would be ruined by someone using various spray sealers/ chemicals. Silicone spray was a big culprit. Fumes would be sucked into the paint booth and cause fish eyes all over the surface. Problems were mostly eliminated when a new paint booth and draft system was installed. But the point is, various sprays will cause problems to new paint if the conditions are right.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:07 PM, jlasater said:

Hondabond, Yamabond, ThreeBond 1311 sealers are all excellent.

Every 2-Stroke case I've ever split has received that very sealant for re-assembly.  It's my personal favorite.