Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sun Star wheel bearings

Slider 491

New to me Sunstar, Kohler Command Engine, 60" deck.  There are no model numbers on the unit..  Front axel has four tapered bearings, pressed in races, and two grease seals on the inside bearings. Went to Parts Tree and went thru every front axel parts list and diagram listed for the Sun Star and came away with what would appear to be the common parts for this spindle, bearing, and race  combination. I believe these are the correct Simplicity part numbers, but would very much appreciate confirmation of my assumptions.

Bearing:                                2170835sm

Bearing Cap (race):            5020883sm

Grease Seal:                        2168108sm

Any ideas on how I may be able to identify the actual model number. I saw this thing and just had to have it. It's all there and in really good condition, and love how well it cuts grass. With a bit of help from this forum I hope to be able to restore it. Thanks in advance. Later slider 491

My parts book has the old numbers:

Seal 168108

Cone bearing 170835

Cup bearing 170836

All except the cup matches your numbers if you convert to new:

Model of your tractor:

18hp = 1692131, 20hp= 1692133, or 1692135

Note: The 2 Ultima 1920s that I owned at one time, both had roller bearings in the front spindles and not tapered bearings.  Check yours out first.

Edited by MikeES

This site is amazing. Soon as it warms up a bit will pull wheels again and make the bearing change out. Thanks for the help in this matter. I literally spent hours on line researching the part numbers from a big list of front axel diagrams and part lists. Was not aware that the parts would have identifying number on them. Once again thanks. When I saw this thing I just had to have it, what a beast. Now I am sure I can restore it good as new.

• Like 2

Well.....where are the pictures???  We like pics here and welcome to the fold. I have an allis 1920 that is the cats meow.

Enjoy the ride....(tractor and the club )there must be a pun somewhere there!!!

Harry

I am assuming Timken tapered roller bearings are used, same as Sovereign. Get the OEM part numbers. I purchased the bearings as a set, cup and cone, off eBay, less expensive than Motion Industries.

I am a fan of Motion. They sell parts made to a set of industry standards, and yes, you do pay a bit more. My Landlord had a set of Timkins on one side, that I am putting back in. The other side was bought from a Simplicity dealer, made in the great state of China. It is being replaced. The bearings were cleaned and packed every year(ish) sometimes with a lot more or less use than the year before. The chinese bearing held up almost 12 years, so I guess that is decent use, and was a test of sorts on my part. No telling how long the Timkin will last, though. Any good industrial supplier will have or can get wheel bearings, deck bearings, bushings, thrust bearings, seals etc, for your machines. My next BGB is going back together with bearings and seals from Motion, for about a fourth of the cost of OEM parts from a Simplicity dealer. I bought a set for the current project from a Simplicity parts source, so that price comparison is real.

At one time I really went through a Sunstar.  I rebuilt the front end, bushings, heim joints, and bearings ( along with a vast majority of the rest of the tractor).  As I recall, the bearings were not tapered.  That's why I even aligned it, so it would track true when drag racing................. 

SSRalign.JPG

ssrneardone1 (2).JPG

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Brettw said:

At one time I really went through a Sunstar.  I rebuilt the front end, bushings, heim joints, and bearings ( along with a vast majority of the rest of the tractor).  As I recall, the bearings were not tapered.  That's why I even aligned it, so it would track true when drag racing................. 

SSRalign.JPG

ssrneardone1 (2).JPG

very nice sunstar

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alltractoredup said:

very nice sunstar

Thanks.  And it was a wreck when I got it.  Hated seeing that one go, lot of work went into that one.  But, a guy drove almost 400 miles to buy it for a dedicated snow machine, so it was a fulfilling save.

• Like 3