Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B207 Pics - Pauls Changeup for Picnic

powermax_paul

Hopefully I'll be ready for the picnic in June. The B207 that Deb gave me for Christmas is coming along. I've had some paint problems though. When I put in some gas and fired it up, the carb leaked and some of the paint on the frame wrinkled. I can't imagine the Sherwin Williams B54 Industrial Enamel being affected by gasoline and only can guess that it's another problem. 1. A primer incompatibility? 2. I used a rust disolver (made by Eastwood Co.)on rusted areas that may have soaked into the original paint and affected the adhesion/properties of the enamel. 3. The gas I put in was treated with Seafoam and possibly this additive is the culprit. Any Ideas? Paul http://www.epho.com/pkjorlie/B207-424-1.jpg

Paul, the tractor looks great!. My Landlord 101 carb drips on the side of the frame often, and while it has stained the paint some, it hasn't lifted it. I used cheap paint from the now defunct Quality Farm. Your theories are interesting. Jeff Snyder

Lookin mighty fine Paul. Had the same trouble with paint on my B-112, Used NAPA self ecthing primer and JD old tint caonstruction yellow at 8 bucks a can, Figured it must have been the jd paint on an AC, but realistly I'd say primer and paint difference. Must say my paint knowledge is quite intense, Point arrow away from one's self and press down, while moving hand. Hope you get the 207 ready for the show..MPH

I must concur with Peter. I fully believe paint needs an extended period of time to "toughen up", much beyond the point where you can touch it and it feels fully dry. Each time you guys post a freshly restored tractor looking like new I can only hope my project ends up looking that good. Congrats, Paul!!!! Dick

Great looking job Paul. It looks like your just about ready for the next one.That paint job is something else. Have a good one.--Ron B

Can't help you with the paint problem Paul, but it sure looks nice!! Any guess as to how much time you have into it? John(ri)

Hard to say how much time. I "putz" with it. I go to work on a few parts, take them to the workbench where another project lies all spread out, set parts aside, work on other project till frustrated, get a beer and sit down to Simpletractors, get inspired again, & get back to parts. You know, "PUTZ". I guess if I worked dilligently at it, I'd have 40-50 hours in it. Funny thing is, now Deb wants it to be her mowing tractor. Oh well, it was a great Christmas present anyway. Paul

Ya know Paul, think I'll have to agree with Pete and Dick on the curing time because the paint on my 112 isn't melting off anymore, showing 2 years wear and tear but she's been a hard workin..MPH

Paul: Looks brand new--great job! Re: the paint, I'll add my own theory to yours, all of which seem plausible (not that that helps any): You may not have done anything "wrong." I think new paint is just "tender." You know how some concrete has to "cure" like 28 days? (Nope, not even goin' there...) Well, I think most new paint is very "vulnerable" for weeks after the paint job. I think it's still "outgassing," (evidenced by that wonderful "new paint" smell. Somethin' I ain't smelled in a while--lol!) Maybe next time you spill gas, after it's cured, the paint will be okay. Well, that's my theory.