Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

irvtoms

5 wire 16 amp regulator

irvtoms

replacement 18 hp vanguard came with this regulator. even simplicity doesnt show it in any

tech manuals .maybe for a j deere or one with ammeter?replaced it with 3 wire but was wondering

if just the red wire was plugged in would it work like a 3 wire. havent done any tests. any gurus

here know?  also will ask. anyone repower a vanguard v twin tractor with a professional series motor.

easy swap? still think about a 23hp vaguard . looks like hair wider on exhaust is all. i assume they are much more reliable than the pro series. i do have the oil cooler setup on my 18 horse motors and a longer 51348 wix filter too.

thanks for any help on the newbie stuff. --irv

001.JPG

002.JPG

Edited by irvtoms

PhanDad

I believe you have a motorcycle or scooter more "hi tech" voltage regulator - it has a signal input wire.  

The brown wire provides the control signal (battery voltage) rather than the red output wire.  It eliminates voltage drop issues depending on the complexity of the wiring.   

See this article:

https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/blog/recitifer-regulator-signal-wires/

I'm guessing you have to have the brown wire connected in order for the 5 wire to work.  Also think you could just connect it to the red wire (+12v output) and it would behave like the 3 wire voltage regulators.  I also think you'd have to connect the orange wire (on your regulator) to ground - I'm guessing the case isn't grounded, or not trusted.  Relying on case grounds isn't used much anymore.    Some pin resistance readings would confirm some of these speculations.  

Now I'd like to hear from a motorcycle or scooter guy to confirm my assumptions.

irvtoms

002.JPG.a2f46ddcb5294391fc97d9d91cfc248c.JPGi did just swap regulators,  but was interested in whether the other one could be made to work.

other than power  were there any improvements made to the 23 hp? i put the oil cooler setup on the 18 years ago , and a wix

filter made for mopars at3-1/4".. looks like just a little cut and weld to narrow the exhaust pipes to go into the dlx muffler and voila, more power[ar, ar, ar-tim allen].

Edited by irvtoms