Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

GardenTrACtorguy

K361 Part

GardenTrACtorguy

I have finally figured the problem on the k 361 was the wrong type of coil.  Now I am on the oil leak.  I have been told from the previous owner that worked on it saying that the rocker arm plate under the valve cover is cracked.  I have looked in a garden tractor salvage yard and was unsuccessful.  I'm scared to take the piece off without a replacement.  I was wondering if the piece was taken to a machine shop if it could be machined to spec from the original or welded?  Number 9 in this picture is what I'm after.

Screenshot 2019-02-02 at 2.41.49 PM.png

RAC

If it's broke it's broke. Taking it off carefully won't usually make it "more" broke. It won't weld well, cast aluminum, especially that's been exposed to oil for so long will have so many impurities that trying to weld it will look like a rooster took a dump on it, literally. Knowing where it is broken would be helpful. Around mounting holes? Between valve guide or push rod tubesholes? Rocker shaft mounting boss? If it's a non-structural crack that is just leaking oil I'd think about surface/crack prep & high temp epoxy. There are some low temp "aluminum solder" products that might work for a non-structural crack. We'd need a pic. to be more help. My guess since you're battling an oil leak is that the rocker plate mounting bolts were over tightened and it is cracked (if really cracked) around or near the valve guide holes. The only thing that is structurally important is the rocker shaft mounting boss. If that's good and there aren't any cracks from a mounting bolt to the shaft mounting boss then all the rest of it really does is just hold oil in.

Edited by RAC
  • Like 1