Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mold board plow

BigNickNY

So, while I have many of the attachments for my 112 and 12, there is one I just cannot seem to find at all which is the mold board plow and disc. Are they just not that common or have many been put into the scrap pile? I've been searching high and low for the suckers and just can't seem to get my hands on em. Alternatively, I do have a plow and disc for the Sears tractor with its three point (brinley attachments) is there ways to retrofit them onto the allis's?

Thanks!

Nick

I've owned and used Brinly mold board plows and disc attachments and had very good experience. Only recently did I acquire an AC plow in a pkg deal.  I understand the Simplicity and Allis plows are supposed to do a better job but I cannot verify that. 

Simplicity made a "one point" hitch that I believe lets you use Brinly type rear attachments:

image.thumb.png.093a0c398fa54675f3937bb085545adb.png

It's kit #1600050.

I believe @RayS used to make them for sale. 

Hopefully someone will confirm.

I have a Brinly plow and am very happy with it.You can use a plow when it is to wet for a tiller. I have cut the time I use my tiller in half and only use a tiller for getting the ground ready for planting seeds. I also collect and put lawn clippings in my gardens and the plow rolls the clippings into the ground, whereas a tiller likes to bounce along the top,

i have had both the original issue 8 inch AC plow and the brindley  they are both sleeve hitch models and are interchangeable but the AC/ simplicity was made for the 6hp walk behinds and the 7 1/4 hp  B-1  wonderboy  700 and 725 tractors. they are not built for much more than 10 hp. the weak poinyt is the hitch bracket the bolts to the plow frame it is only 1 1/2 wide  x 5/16ths bar strap with a piece of 5/16 plate welded to it that bolts to the plow  frame this bends and twists and rips off. i used mine  on a B-12 and have ripped 3 of these and had to reweld . the brindley  plow has a 3 1/2 inch wide  x 3/8 thick  hitch plate  wide enough to tighted the anti sway bolts on the  sleeve hitch bracket.. the rolling coulter is easier to adjust on the AC plow.. the brindley plow i have is a 10 inch and is built heavier. for up to a 18 hp  tractor. you can adjust the furrow size    with 3 mounting positions by 1 1/2 inches off center either way on the sleeve hitch this is not possible with the AC plow

Edited by brokenwrench

I have never seen or heard of an 8" AC plow.  None appear in the literature either.  I've also never seen a 10" plow break.  I have seen two bend in the main frame, but the Brinly plow uses thinner steal for it's frame, so I would imagine whatever abuse they were subjected to, would have made a pretzel out of a Brinly.

Don't get me wrong, I have used, and will use both, but I like the Simplicity design a bit better. I think it pulls and adjusts easier.   The Simplicity also weighs 82# to Brinly's 68#.  

Brinly frame vs Simplicity frame.  To the point made above, the plow beam end is lighter than the Brinly, but I think this saves the plow beam, personally.  I see Brinly's at my local consignment auction all the time, and their beams are almost always twisted, as they are the weak point in the design, being thinner than the plow beam end.

5c59d784c582d_Brinlyplowguage.thumb.jpg.1be584c38ed83c7d90592332d8b1ec08.jpg5c59d78871fce_simplicityplowguage.thumb.jpg.856060705027474a7fc6c6748340e105.jpg

I have had both the 10" AC/Simplicity plows and the Brinly plows in both 10" and 8" models. I've also had the smaller walk-behind plows but sold them off and never used them. I have been pleased with both brands. The AC plow has a shorter beam and in heavy bean stubble it pulled the stubble along instead of throwing it causing the stubble to build under the tractor and cause it to high center. At that event, I then switched to a Brinly with no coulter and it did OK. I don't recall if I had the coulter on the AC plow or not. That might have been part of the issue. The AC plows seem to penetrate better due to the extra weight and yes they are easier to adjust. I've seen lots of these AC plows and have two currently. Nothing is bent on the frame and I don't recall seeing but maybe one out of a dozen or so of these at shows or auctions, that had any bending to the beam or standard. 

B-110 with 8" Brinly, later style frame, and no coulter in-use. 

IMG_5773.thumb.jpg.f8611c54c2805f59d3dbdf27c7aeab29.jpg

916H with AC 10" plow. No coulter in-use. Did a great job. Usually the ground is a little too wet here in the fall for ideal plowing. 

DSCN6567.thumb.jpg.fb9d07e54cf9464135346a239031b582.jpg

Edited by Chris727

On 2/3/2019 at 1:59 PM, PhanDad said:

Simplicity made a "one point" hitch that I believe lets you use Brinly type rear attachments:

image.thumb.png.093a0c398fa54675f3937bb085545adb.png

It's kit #1600050.

I believe @RayS used to make them for sale. 

Hopefully someone will confirm.

Bill,

I still make stuff. I can not however for at least 3 months or longer. I got in a fight with a knife at work and lost. Lost bad. I cut the tendon that allows the thumb to flex or move. 

007B6837-59BC-48FB-96C1-C6E30F7ACA7D.jpeg

F85E090F-3BA2-43EC-8B6F-ED164E8BE751.jpeg

Edited by RayS
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, RayS said:

Bill,

I still make stuff. I can not however for at least 3 months or longer. I got in a fight with a knife at work and lost. Lost bad. I cut the tendon that allows the thumb to flex or move. 

Woah! That looks painful! 

14 hours ago, RayS said:

I got in a fight with a knife at work and lost. Lost bad. I cut the tendon that allows the thumb to flex or move. 

Not good.

Really, really not good.

Looking forward to hearing you've achieved a speedy and, more importantly, a full recovery.

I have no experience with either brand, but in our soil in north Alabama, a coulter is usually only necessary when plowing new ground, after the initial sod is turned under, the clay stands well in a furrow. My Simplicity M1 walk behind is going to be tested if the rain ever stops. I have the simplicity plow and cultivator for it and intend to put it to use. My homebuilt tractor has a renovated mule drawn 92 Chattanooga plow with it. It is a 12" slat wing plow, pulled by a ZZ Briggs (7HP), mounted to a 34 Ford transmission. With chains on the tires, it will pull the plow decent at about 8 inch depth in 2nd gear. If the ground has been worked in the last few years, it will do 12 inches deep, but the engine really likes to raise a bit of ****. 

Edited by MrSteele
Spelling and punctuation
  • Like 1

I appreciate all the information folks, and wish a speedy recovery with the injury as I too had a grizzly one myself! (Chainsaws and knees don't get along) I will continue my search for the original AC or Simplicity plow and disc as the Sears currently has the Brinley attachments on its 3-pt. Furthermore, is anyone aware of these attachments being for sale?

Thanks!

Nick

6 hours ago, BigNickNY said:

I appreciate all the information folks, and wish a speedy recovery with the injury as I too had a grizzly one myself! (Chainsaws and knees don't get along) I will continue my search for the original AC or Simplicity plow and disc as the Sears currently has the Brinley attachments on its 3-pt. Furthermore, is anyone aware of these attachments being for sale?

Thanks!

Nick

Neither do chainsaws and ankles.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:44 PM, RayS said:

Bill,

I made one for my 21hp Murray GT. I built mine heavy intentionally to also serve as weight on the rear axle. It weights 50 #

I built my own sleeve hitch. It doesn't matter if the plow weighs #20 pounds more or less. The actuator will pick up the back of the tractor. It provides #550 of down force. All of this being said, it is much easier to find a Brinly moldboard plow. Two pieces of flat steel are thicker on one? Go to your local steel supplier AFTER you bend the ones you have. Simple enough. Buy what is easiest to find, as  close to your house as possible.

1193BCC2-FCAE-4944-9375-D9F3CD2BE1DC.jpeg

3E079704-C7F8-4431-82F7-1DF814D69054.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/6/2019 at 8:41 PM, AC716 said:

Neither do chainsaws and ankles.

This might actually be a reason for another post in another forum, but folks, most of us play with very dangerous toys. I have never introduced my chains or blades to flesh, but have had some close calls. I told a young man one time that a chainsaw was invented by doctors to remove limbs, and them good ol' boys found out it would also remove tree limbs. His job, was to keep the chainsaw from doing what it was designed to do. As long as he did that, he should not have a problem. He failed to listen, and it was not pretty. He should never have even picked up a saw in the store..he was so clumsy. I have worn out countless chains, a few chainsaws, lawnmowers, and to this point, safely. Watch where those bars ore located!

• Like 1

CHAPS!!!

& not the English fellow type either.

Last year I took care of three chainsaw injured patients.  Two of those were the same guy.  I lectured him all the way to the Emergency Department.

• Like 2

I would think the actuator will harrass you when plowing.  All of the plow setups allow for the plow to float but I dont know of an actuator that does.  I think you will find the plow hangs you up in tough spots with a loss of traction. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 7:49 PM, Talntedmrgreen said:

I would think the actuator will harrass you when plowing.  All of the plow setups allow for the plow to float but I dont know of an actuator that does.  I think you will find the plow hangs you up in tough spots with a loss of traction. 

All 1 row tractors I have ever plowed with were spring loaded on the attachment. The springs aided in lifting the attachments, but also allowed some vertical movement of the implement in use. I agree with the above comment for our soils down south. It may not be as much of a problem in the soils in the river basins, where topsoil is a lot deeper than down here