Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

EdwardLincoln

JC Penny garden tractor

EdwardLincoln

I guy gave me a JC penny garden tractor a while back, just haven't picked it up. It looks pretty good for setting outside for many years the engine isn't stuck but the drive shaft is disconnected from the flywheel. It has some wheel weights that are smaller than the normal simplicity type. When I get it home I'll take some pictures. It has headlight pods on the side of the hood and the seat is junk.

Brettw
8 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

It is hard to find a Penneys, and flat out rare to be given one!

That's because last time you had one, Josh, you didn't call me and say "Hey Brett, you want a free JC Penney tractor?"  Then it wouldn't be so rare.............

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Snojetter
3 hours ago, Brettw said:

That's because last time you had one, Josh, you didn't call me and say "Hey Brett, you want a free JC Penney tractor?"  Then it wouldn't be so rare.............

xD  Ha ha ha!

• Haha 1

Brettw
6 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Unlikely, but not out of the question.

Well there ya go.  Hope springs eternal.............  (I won't hold me breath though.  I have a distinct feeling I would look like a Smurf in no time)

• Haha 1

AC716
On 2/5/2019 at 10:20 AM, Talntedmrgreen said:

Well, I still have a JCP, so, it's not out of the question.  Unlikely, but not out of the question.

You can put it on a pallet and ship it to me! sm06

PhanDad

They are my favorite Simplicity OEM wheel weights.  Mounted as they are on your tractor, they are perfect for providing an excellent mounting surface to stack other home made weights made from steel plate.   Although "officially" they are shown mounted with the other side facing out.

They are in this catalog:

https://simpletractors.com/files/file/69-misc-attachments-and-accessories-7000-series/

image.thumb.png.02af2f7635d342e6001897370671cc45.png

ShaunE

Those aren't odd rear wheel weights.  They are actually kind off hard to find.  They are part #990708.  They are the inner wheel weight that can be used with the much more common #990046 outer wheel weight.  In my area they sell for $150-$200.

Had to edit mine as @PhanDad types faster than I do.

GregB

I would love to get a set of those given to me mounted on the JCP 494.

I remember looking at that tractor walking thru Penneys back in the day...........when they also still sold tools.

GregB

Must be close to 1972 or 1973.  Pretty sure the JCP is the same as a simplicity 7013S.

Edit:

Went back and checked, the 7013 was listed in the "new in 1975" brochure listed in the research section.

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1

Talntedmrgreen
8 minutes ago, GregB said:

Must be close to 1972 or 1973.  Pretty sure the JCP is the same as a simplicity 7013S.

Edit:

Went back and checked, the 7013 was listed in the "new in 1975" brochure listed in the research section.

The JCPs I have seen, all have a May 28, 1974 Briggs in them.  I havent seen a JCP catalog with this tractor in it yet, to understand when JCPenney actually marketed the machines. 

Ed, I would love to know what your tractor and engine serial numbers are.  I have been collecting that info on all of these tractors I have come across. 

• Like 1

Brettw

Josh, I have checked Fed Ex, UPS, Fastenal, Schnieder, XPO, JB Hunt, YRC, Swift, RTL, and any others I can think of.  No one has any bill of lading for a JC Penney tractor to my address.  I assume it's a paper work glitch.  Can you follow up please and give me the skinny on when the drop ship date is?  Thanks in advance!

Your best friend, Brett

Edited by Brettw

Brettw
3 minutes ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Brett, it was delivered and signed for over a week ago!  Better ask the wife...

I knew she couldn't be trusted when it came to my 14th tractor!  She's pretty slick when it comes to this stuff.  Darn!!!!