Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
steve-wis

battery maintainer hookup

steve-wis

Hi,

I bought a new battery charger that has a built in maintainer.  It is for one battery.  I have two batteries that I would like to keep a trickle charge on.  Can I hook the two batteries to each other, and then the maintainer to one of the batteries to do both?  If I can, would this be pos to pos and neg to neg?

Any info is, as always, appreciated!

Steve

rockfangd

How many amps is the charger?

It is possible, but you have to note that the amperage is split between both batteries. So if the charger is 1.5a that means it would put out .75a to each battery which is not enough.

If it is 3a then it would be 1.5 per battery which may be enough to top them off. That is figuring that both batteries are in the same state of health. If one is new and the other is old then it still may not work properly.

positives go together, negatives go together

Easiest route would be to use 2 trickle chargers.

I do trucks and buses which usually have 3 batteries.

So a 60 amp charge in theory charges 20 amps to each battery. Hope this helps

Edited by rockfangd

steve-wis

Both batteries are in good shape.  The one gets drained low because I have electric lift and the transplant engine only has a single circuit 2 amp alternator, which can't keep up.  The other one gets drained because the voltage regulator is shot and I don't want to change it till warm weather comes.

The charger/maintainer is 3 amp so I am thinking it will do the job.

So is it positive to positive and negative to negative?

Steve 

deebig

Yes you can add a battery or batteries in parallel and maintain them with a trickle charger. I have 3 batteries that are maintained with a 5  watt ( .4 amp)  solar panel.