Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117H - Snowthrower Chute Control Cable

rcwannab

I just purchased my first garden tractor two weeks ago; 7117H with 48" mower deck and 42" snowblower.  I tried the snowblower this evening for the first time and was having issue with the chute direction control cable. The cable is loose and wouldn't wrap on the control spool properly resulting in chute wondering clockwise while blowing.

I am hoping those with knowledge of these machines could point me towards proper chute cable setup.

Thank you in advance.

SimplicitySnowthrowerCableTerminus_20190210.jpg

SimplicitySnowthrowerCable_20190210.jpg

I have no firsthand working knowledge with these snowblowers. That being said, it looks like the slack in the cable should be around the "spool" part of the rod. I'm sure others will chime in. Welcome to the club. :hi:

One end of the cable has a loop on it, it should be attached to the chute on the front bolt when the chute is facing left as you sit on the seat.  Then the cable is looped as many times as possible around the spool on the rod.  There should also be an anchor clamp on the spool to attach the cable to the spool.  Finally, the end is pulled fairly tightly to the other bolt on the chute, wrapped around the bolt and the nut tightened.  It looks like the anchor on the spool is on yours and attached to the cable, so instead of unhooking it you can just do one turn around the spool and then hook up the looped end, then turn the spool until it has pulled up all the slack and then finish with the other end.  

Hopes this is clear enough to understand.

Steve

Just to clarify what Steve said, your anchor is intact on the spool.  If you take that nut off the chute and pull the cable off, it will wind around the spool 2 or 3 times probably, then each end will go back to the aforementioned nut and loop around that.  The cable is continuous in one direction around that spool and the anchor looks to be in about the right position to show you how to wrap it.  

The ferrule on one side looks like it is missing and that cable is pretty nasty.  You can get replacement ferrules at any hardware store and it may be worth buying a new cable while your at it.  It still looks fairly clean but without a good loop on the end you're relying on friction to keep it fixed to the chute.  I used plastic coated cable and the bolt on style wire rope clips to form my loop.  Don't bother with thimbles, there isn't room on that stud to fit them.  If you're still struggling, I can get a picture of a setup this evening.  

As the others said above. 

The "official" instructions from the setup section of an older edition of a snowblower operators manual:

5c61afc35ae79_SnowThrower169152110_DecOpPg12.thumb.JPG.893a067219ae6ae7b1f22d7262e709d0.JPG

Hopefully more readable:

5c61afc78375d_SnowThrower169152110_DecOpPg12a.thumb.JPG.5857c2c92947db55efa4b4ba3b00e99f.JPG

You should download copies of the operator and parts manuals for your "new" equipment.  There's a "sticky" post at the top of this forum with the link to the Simplicity manual site.  All you need is the MFG# of then item.

Excellent!  Thank you for the resources and images. I got it adjusted in a pinch this morning to blow snow, but I believe the cable needs replacement it's a bit short. I'll look closer at the direction of the spool winding.

Is the chute rotation tension a function of the cable or is there something to tighten to increase resistance and prevent the chute for rotating on own?

Only other issue is surging and occasional backfire when throttling down. Assume a tune up and carb rebuild in order.

15 hours ago, rcwannab said:

Is the chute rotation tension a function of the cable or is there something to tighten to increase resistance and prevent the chute for rotating on own?

Just cable tightness and turning resistance of rod.  Notice in pic above how both cables are very taught - a result of initial setup. 

• 2 weeks later...

That's a good idea!  I just realized I'm a wrap short both ways and didn't want to go in to town to get cable.  I think I have enough starter rope laying around.