Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Aircraft Carrier Tractor????

TFF

Wow. If I didn't tie mine to the trailer it would fall off in the street. that one on a ship bombed and sunk the after sinking all that way and hitting the sea floor, just sets there.

Although it may have been clear on the other side of the hanger deck too.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TFF said:

USS Hornet,

The Hornet was the aircraft carrier used in the Doolittle raid on Tokyo early in the war.  As for the tractor, someone in Yesterday's Tractors says it is an International Harvester.  Someone else pointed out that it "Ran when parked".

• Haha 3

Looks like a Hebard "shop mule" made from an IHC tractor. Would have been used to move aircraft below decks. Would have looked the same as  this one from 1948.

5c634b6e9e7ea_jarvis116.thumb.jpg.88e6989d99a40dcbe1249a8696ae2c2a.jpg

This is a Hebard Shop Mule from 1942 and is the exact same tractor as the one on the Hornet right down to the cast front wheels and the rear weights.

a101482.jpg.b89a1c1282e66301b97724f59e715c8b.jpg

Edited by B10Dave
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TFF said:

I was just watching the news...a group just found the USS Hornet, a WWII Aircraft Carrier sunk in the Pacific in 1942.  As the remotely piloted sub panned the sunken ship, I saw a small tractor on board....took a screenshot.  Will also give the link to the news story.  What tractor?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrmJn6Oudos

Screenshot (199).png

Wonder how many sea critters sat in the seat and pretended to drive it?{}

• Haha 1

In the image below you can see the International Harvester spelled out on the side of the hood.  Must be one heck of a decal to last that long.  More likely an engraved steel stamping.

image.png.49fca3422f34e66a4d2ccb2721f5506d.png

Just goes to show how well we "tie down" equipment on an aircraft carrier.  Sinks to the bottom of 17,000', and remains in place.

Served on USS J.F.K., CV67, 1973 - 1976.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2