Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

rbstuartjr

Simplicity Soverign

rbstuartjr

Good morning all, you all have been very helpful in the past with my tractors so I have a new question for you. I have been looking at a 1996 ish Simolicity Sovereign with the 18hp Kohler command engine. This machine has hydro tyranny and lift. The engine doesn’t smoke or leak nor does the tranny or lift assembly, says the owner. The pictures show no rust other than in the deck the paint looks a little faded. I am going to take a look at this machine this weekend. He says the mower runs strong and works as it should and he’s never had any issues with it. 

Is there anything I should be looking at or concerned with about this setup? What would be a fair price for the tractor? I intend to put a 42 snowblower on it, will it handle this? Sorry for all the questions my 910 6speed with a 14hp Kohler just threw a rod while snow blowing and am tired of rebuilding this thing. I just don’t want to spend a good deal of money and have another basket case. Thanks for all your help!

tripleguy

Nice tractors. Can definitely take the 42" blower. Ask when the hydro fluid and filter were last change and be prepared to change it if it's been a while. Check play in the bevel gear box by moving the clutch pulley back and forth. Shouldn't be much movement there - maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch.  Not sure of the price with mower and blower - maybe $1,000 or less?? Haven't priced on in a while. They are nice machines.

Bill725

Someone PLEASE educate me where Simplicity states how to check and measure play in the BGB. I have all the IPL's for all (5) of my BGB tractors and the Large Frame Garden Tractor Service & Repair Manual and I am unable to find it.

Alltractoredup

Simplicity Sovereigns with a command are nice machines.  Price depends on your location in the country.  Around MN/WI these machines can get around $1000 and up depending on condition. do you have any pictures?

PhanDad
1 hour ago, Bill725 said:

Someone PLEASE educate me where Simplicity states how to check and measure play in the BGB. I have all the IPL's for all (5) of my BGB tractors and the Large Frame Garden Tractor Service & Repair Manual and I am unable to find it.

I don't think there is any definitive written statements.  I've never seen any. 

The service video mentions "excessive noise,  any play in input or output shafts,  and excessive backlash" are indicators of problems within the BGB (about 35 minute mark of the video). 

rbstuartjr

So here are pictures of the said tractor. What do you all think?

I  have a 910 6 speed and a 914 shuttle at the moment. I swapped engines between and the 14 HP Kohler threw its 2nd rod so I’m done with it for now.

i don’t know much about hydro units and the v-twin .Kohler command engine so is there anything I should be specifically looking for? Thanks for all your help,and insight.

E4799AD6-C2B8-41E8-BDEC-9CFEA3DDE68A.jpeg

854F94CF-8E25-4047-B8C2-2616A491F277.jpeg

LMichaels

Looks very much like mine though mine has a Command CH20 engine (a dealer replaced it with a new 20 because they forgot to put oil in the 18 after servicing it). Check the front spindles. I didn't do that on mine and it's a job I have to do this coming spring.

Otherwise pretty bulletproof. I gave $1200 for mine BTW. Was the best machine for the $$$ I could find last spring

rbstuartjr

Ok thanks LMichaels, just wasn’t sure about these newer machines. I have plenty of experience with the older ones.  I’m going to buy it this weekend. I’m glad to hear most are happy with these tractors. 

Now after I get this one, I’ve got to figure out what to do with this blown engine on my 910.

• Like 1

cwm1276

I put a 18HP command in my 7117H 10 years ago.  It is a great engine.  You can search here and find many favorable views.

I run a 42" blower, 48" mower and the tiller on mine without any problem.  If you are used to these single stage blowers, you know they throw the best when full.  I can typically snow blow at speeds similar to mowing, without hearing the command start hitting the governor and throw 15-20 feet.

rbstuartjr

Ok so the guy I’m buy8ng the tractor from sent me a video of  the machine running and I can hear a whine coming from the transmission area. Now it’s here in the northeast and it’s cold, could the whine just be from cold transmission fluid.

Also I will change the tranny fluid when I get it. What type of fluid should I get? I have Tractor supply and multiple auto parts stores nearby.  There is not any Sim0licity dealer near me at all. 

I tried uploading video but it wouldn’t let me.

PhanDad
3 hours ago, rbstuartjr said:

I can hear a whine coming from the transmission area.

In my experience the Sundstrand hydros do tend to whine some.  

Recommended "official" hydro fluid is "Simplicity Multi-Purpose Hydraulic/Transmission Oil".  

See this resent post for info/opinions about all the fluids in your new tractor:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/62114-7116h-fluids/

PS - I've used TSC's "Traveller Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid" without any problems. 

Edited by PhanDad
Added PS
  • Like 1

ShaunE
8 hours ago, Bill725 said:

Back to the toilet issue, the Triad was a TURD!

Come on Bill. 18 years out of yours is more than any of these new engines will potentially give you.  If you wanted more years, It would be all cast iron.

tripleguy

RB Stuart - Tractor looks like it spent a lot of time outside based on the rust and paint fade but it just might be the pics.  I'd check it over good for rodent damage (nests in the battery compartment, chewed wires) as well as cracked rubber in fuel lines, tires, belts. Tire costs alone can add up. Look for checking of the rubber, an indication they may not be holding air. They could be tubed if that's the case and they're not cracked too bad.

rbstuartjr

Ok so I got it home and transferred the snowblower and the wheel weights on it. The chains won’t fit because this has 10 in wide tire vs the 8 inch on the 910. She sounds and runs good. I’ll buff the paint out in the spring when it’s warmer. He said all the fluids were changed over the summer including hydro.  There is a bit of rust underneath. The guy said the previous owner never cleaned the grass off the deck under the machine so it rusted. The levers for the tranny and pto are stiff but hopefully with use they will loosen up. There is no play in the BGB at the cone clutch at all. I think the grease in all the zerks was original so I gave them all a liberal dosing. Thanks all for your input on this.

EB52E443-DF47-4627-AE22-F40988093D42.jpeg

A2CA553F-36B6-41CE-B710-4E2AD4ECCE90.jpeg

B25E0936-762A-439F-8AFF-E3DE532CA205.jpeg

rbstuartjr

It was supposedly stored in a shed but there is some checking on one rear tire as the other one is new.  The deck is definitely rusty so I will repaint it in the spring. It’s a 48 deck that came with it. The gas lines have superficial cracking on so I will replace them all. There is some rust on the lift cylinder lines underneath. Don’t know how that will affect the longevity of them. Do they make replacement lines for them? The tires seem be all holding air. The tires on my 910 are from 1980 and still hold air. But that machine has been kept inside it’s whole life.

PhanDad
1 hour ago, rbstuartjr said:

The chains won’t fit because this has 10 in wide tire vs the 8 inch on the 910.

You can swap the old 8” wide tires with chains onto the “new” tractor.  They should bolt right on without any problems.  

Some say 8” tires give better traction in snow than the 10”s.  Plus it’ll keep the newer wheels in good shape for summer. 

kwt
17 hours ago, PhanDad said:

You can swap the old 8” wide tires with chains onto the “new” tractor.  They should bolt right on without any problems.  

Some say 8” tires give better traction in snow than the 10”s.  Plus it’ll keep the newer wheels in good shape for summer. 

And the weights from the new should fit on the 8" tires too.