Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

fiberglass driveshaft disc

Kenh

I have to admit I didn't look, but are the fiberglass discs still available?   If not I have glass cloth and some carbon fiber cloth on hand along with a good laminating epoxy.  Byproducts of model RC plane building.  lol    I could possibly make a layup of glass/carbon/epoxy and produce blanks for the disk.  The layup would be placed in a vacuum bag and about 20 inches of vacuum pulled.  The final product would also get an elevated temp post cure to maximize the strength of the epoxy.

Ken

1 hour ago, Kenh said:

are the fiberglass discs still available?

New disks for the Powermax are available but are real pricey.  The Powermax PN 2173026sm, 3.625" disk is +/-$25 and PN 2175230sm, the 4" disk is over $42.  Not absolutely sure but I think the 3.625" disk will fit most if not all other applications that are "no longer available".  If you can produce units on as needed basis, you can probably move a limited number.  But I wouldn't go into full production just yet.  

When I bought my 725, someone had replaced one of the fiber disks with a home-made rag coupler made from a piece of old tire.  Another viable fiber-disk substitute is the (rag coupler) steering coupler from a Ford Mustang.  The bolt holes are a little snug but fit.  A user can make up the difference in thickness by using smaller spacers.

02 original spare tire adaptor - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

I believe disc material (or at least something fairly similar to it) is available from McMaster.  Its described as fiberglass-reinforced polyester.  .060 thick though the factory ones I just measured are appx .070 

High-Temperature Lightweight Structural Fiberglass

https://www.mcmaster.com/laminate-sheets

Edited by MercerRec
spelling

The two sheets of material referenced are what I call "G-10".    I'm using G-10 as a generic reference.  I kind of forgot about it even though I have used it in the past.  For that price of the sheets I couldn't even come close to a price match.  It is just to easy to copy a disk and cut it out.

OK, It was a good idea while it lasted!  hahahahahaha   Wasn't looking to make any money, just offer a service.

Ken

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I tried using a 4" hole saw to cut disks from the ePlastic product.  Flattened the teeth before it even marked the surface.  I called customer support and was told they use a diamond faced CNC router to make cuts.  So much for THAT idea.

I used my 4” hole saw to cut the side wall of an old truck tire we had lying around at work but couldn’t get it good and flat on both sides, it got thicker towards the tread. I thought it was a good idea. 

52 minutes ago, simplewrench said:

I used my 4” hole saw to cut the side wall of an old truck tire

Are you the one who made the old tire rag coupler for my 725 (above)?

And a friend who works there, and can cut for you on the side.

I had a local shop cut me heavy steel plate, into 4 rings to make rear wheel spacers for my B Loader.

I gave them the material and the CAD file for the cut.

15 years ago it cost me $75, not sure what the Min charge would be now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wwbragg said:

Are you the one who made the old tire rag coupler for my 725 (above)?

No but I had a 1967 F100 that used the same rag joint which helped inspire the idea. 

1/8 conveyor belting, adjust the thickness of washers to make up the difference. On my 2 wheel homebuilt, the 'universal' joint is a piece of 1/4" conveyor belt. Me and my Dad put it there about 30 years ago, and I had to replace it last year. Granted, I do not use it a great lot.

2 hours ago, simplewrench said:

F100 that used the same rag joint

The bolt pattern on the rag coupler from a 67 Mustang steering column is close enough to the 3.625" fiber glass coupler that the bolts can be coerced to fit.  But it is a little thicker.  The larger, 4" coupler on the 9020 drive line is another story.  Problem is, with my 9020/Predator repower, I am already hurting for space.

Edited by wwbragg
clarify

I know on the 725 you can loosen the set screws and adjust where the couplers are on the driveshaft and gearbox shaft. 

• Like 1