Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Link to alternator conversion AC 620?

jason47

I still have my 620, however it is in pieces after a couple of years when I was working on replacing melted wires.  Life gets busy you know?  While it's still winter, I was hoping to get it put back together.  I haven't taken the time to get back to getting her back together again.  I recall that I was thinking about putting an alternator on it as I had a problem with the battery not charging.  I recall someone had a link to how they fabricated an alternator setup in their 620 or 720?   If it's in the technical area, I did try to pay my dues, but the site wouldn't let me order for some reason.  But I digress...  

Another thing I'm wondering about is the tensioner pulley down in the 60" belly mower.  I recall that the the spring seemed rather weak and when I would get into some tall grass, the mower would not really cut all that well,  and I would have to take my time getting through it.  Anyone have a fix for this?

Here is a link to one member's build.  I know there were several documented on the forum.  Some are currently inaccessible.  

@720nut can help you with that.  Hopefully he will chime in on his install.

Is your stator the current problem?

If that is your problem, they can be rewound.  There are a few places in WI that will rewind them for you with a core.

• Like 1

Thanks guys think my post pretty much explains how I did the alternator.

I've done several of these builds , even run one on my pulling tractor to keep Braile battery I use charged