Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler command over charging

rbstuartjr

So I got my new to me Sovereign home and setup with the blower. Changed the oil and greased everything. When it was running the amp meter shows about 15 amp charge. I just figured it was an old battery and just needed to be charged. So I went and put my trusty meter on the batter. So at full throttle and 15 amps on meter the battery voltage shows 17-18 volts and at idle I’m getting 10 amps and 15 volts at battery. So it is charging, yeah! But I thinks it’s a bit much.

I had an issue on Cub, with a Kohler courage 23hp engine, where I was getting 22 volts to battery and it starting frying voltage regulators, light bulbs and blowing fuses. Turned out to be bad grounds. New wiring harness and a ground wire from voltage regulator mounting  bolt to battery solved that problem. Bad grounds can cause excessive voltage so I’m told.

So I added a ground wire from voltage regulator to battery and it didn’t make a difference. I cleaned all grounds, didn’t help. I’m getting 31 volts a/c on the stator leads so that’s ok. So I’ll replace the regulator. Does this take the same regulator as the K series? I was cross referencing numbers and it’s seems it does. I might take the one off the 910 K321 and see if it works. 

It sure sounds to me like the regulator is not regulating.  It is stuck "wide open" so to speak.  I would replace the regulator also and see what happens.

Ken

So I swapped the regulator from K321 to the command and she now shows 14.8 volts regardless of the engine rpm. So I believe she is working as she should.  But that lower bolt on the the Command regulator was a bit of a bear to get back in.

• Like 1

Did you manage to get it off without taking the engine out? I need to replace mine and I am thinking engine removal, but hope I am wrong.

Steve

I was able to get it with the engine still in the tractor. The top bolt was easy enough but the bottom was more difficult. I used a ratcheting 3/8 box wrench to reach down and get it out. Getting it back in, used needle nose pliers to line it up and then pushed it in with my finger till it held a bit then got the ratcheting wrench back on it. Took me a few tries to get it back in. I did put the top bolt in first, but did not snug it down till the bottom one was in all the way. 

Glad to learn that I can do it with engine in.  Mine does not charge the battery at all, everything checks out up to the regulator so I am sure that is the problem.  Glad you got yours working right!

Steve

That regulator really is in a poor spot for a piece of  equipment that is not that uncommon for it to go bad. I did think of drilling a hole in frame but I was hoping I didn’t have to. On the K series it’s right up on top. On vertical shaft command  and Courage engines it’s in the same spot but being vertical, it raises it up above the frame.