Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow blower saved from scrap heap

Johnrenk

5c7021a19133f_blowersavedfromjunkpile.thumb.JPG.f4ab6de1c7ab8ede89d96fcc39d12039.JPG

This is the machine was left out side for maybe 8 months uncovered. Had water every where inside the engine. The blower was given to me instead of just scraping it.

Owner tried to start the engine, what a mess it left internally. Should have taken more pictures. For a $180 worth of parts I have a pretty good snow blower.

Next picture shows the damage of left over parts.

5c7022bfb5ece_blownmotorsavedblower.thumb.JPG.75857c63e8bc520025a13e9b2bfad0b8.JPG

Need I say more? yes, Crank shaft had aluminum remanence from the broken rod.

Put the crank in the bench top lath and sanded off the aluminum (used 400 grit and cutting oil) wound up with a nice smooth bearing surface no under cut from the process. Cylinder wall had a slight remanence from the piston, not much, a quick honing took care of that results were a nice smooth cylinder factory specks remained. Lapped the valves for the heck of it they were in good shape. Crank case had a half by quarter hole with leading cracks. 

Repaired the hole and cracks with a aluminum brazing/soldering rod that is made to join copper to aluminum (A/C application) the brazing worked quite well. If anyone tries it the trick is to scratch the surface with the rod as you warm it up (similar to tinning). Put the unit back together ran for about an hour for break in. Waiting for enough snow to give it a work out.

A very self satisfying job it turned out to be. TIP: this time it was worth the effort. 

• Like 1

I doubt it ran more then 10 hours. Was kept inside until room was needed for something else. Never thinking it would get damaged from the rain. . Only place I could see the ran entered from the muffler .

Nice save John. If you run across aluminum transfer again; it can easily be removed with careful application of muriatic acid followed by a thorough rinse with water and a good blow dry after...Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did not know that, thanks for the tip. Might have been faster then sanding. I have some of that on the shelf to get rid of rust spots on the floor from welding and grinding .