Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar dual brake pedals

Brettw

Maybe someone can answer this.  On the Sunstars with the dual brake pedal setup, I am a bit confused.  On a regular farm tractor, the left/right pedals are used to help turn, or to transfer power to a wheel with better traction.  However, I don't understand the purpose on the Sunstars, because when you apply either or both brakes, it mechanically returns the hydro to the neutral position?  What is the point of the dual system?  What am I missing or not understanding?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhanDad said:

You're missing where you wife hid the JC Penny tractor.  

Very funny, Bill.  She's pretty good at that stuff. And she won't fess up. I'm beginning to think Josh just might be pulling my leg.  But before I accuse someone of deliberately trying to "josh" me, I've got to go look under the bed, in the cupboard, and in the attic.  Again............

• Haha 2

i belive the reason it was hooked up to set the tractor to neutral when either brake is pressed is a saftey deal. if you take the right side panel and right dash panel off you shuld have access to the hydro linkage and can remove the plate that hooks to the brakes. then you can opperate the brakes as you would on a farm tractor.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Nader at his finest 666 

I just learn something here I would have never known they were set up that way, were me I'd make Stephen's changes  dOd

Brett,

With the Deutz Allis 1920 that I have, I can turn the tractor easy with using either pedal and when they are locked together it will turn the hydro back to neutral.

Yes Steven, I assumed it was for safety, and I know of the mechanical linkage that is tied to it.  I just wondered what was the point?  Set it up for dual braking, and then defeat its purpose.  Maybe it was for to be able to be sold "safely" and then remove the linkage if you wanted the dual brake function?

Interesting.

And now Ryan's explanation makes sense.  So, the only time it returns the hydro to the neutral position is when the pedals are locked together.  Mine didn't seem to differentiate, but that was a few years back and I may not have recognized the difference.