Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tom45

B112 transmission rollpin issue

Tom45

I am rebuilding the transmission in my B112.  Its biggest issue is due to rust from water that was in it, either from years of sitting outside or a flood.  One of the two rollpins that limit the transmission shifting was cracked down the length of it, apparently from a ball that was driven into it.  Both of the rollpins have a steel ball driven into them, apparently either to tighten them in the hole or to open up the free end.  Has anyone ever seen this done?  

Thanks

TimJr

Got a pic?  Pretty sure that is normal - a roll pin isn't a full circle - it has a slot in it down the length.  These are not a spiral wound roll pin.  Obviously it needs to be replaced if it is actually cracked, and not just the normal slot in the roll pin. Yes, the ball is driven into it to set it into position.  The depth of the pins is pretty critical to proper shifting.  If they are too deep, the shifter can easily pop out of place and then the trans gets stuck in gear.  If they were set too long, then they could interfere with the neutral gate, causing hard shifting.  Set them up as tight as possible/in line with the neutral gate slots in the shift forks.

Tom45

Yes, the rollpin has the normal slot and also a lengthwise crack. The pin broke in two while I was removing it.   I had to remove the ball and drill through the pin and through the housing in order to remove the pin.  The parts book and service manual make no mention of the ball inside the pin.  

AC710

I just rebuilt a 7016 transmission. It had balls in the roll pins. The service manual has good instructions about how to set the pins, although I did not mess with them.

The transmission also had lots of other things going on - like most of the spacer washers missing, lock rings not reinstalled, etc that some past expert did to it.

Tom45

I talked to Brenda at Sandy Lake and she said that it was a special roll pin that Simplicity used and that it included a ball. 

I also have had problems with a differential that someone else "worked on".  The washers that were left out caused the gears to interfere and grind on themselves and the stretched retaining rings also caused problems.  

• Like 1

TimJr

Page 9-22 of the Large Frame service manual shows the roll pins and the installation depths.  It does not mention the balls, but I have seen them in the roll pins on various Simplicity transmissions.  Maybe not all used them?

ShaunE
4 hours ago, Tom45 said:

I also have had problems with a differential that someone else "worked on".  The washers that were left out caused the gears to interfere and grind on themselves and the stretched retaining rings also caused problems.  

This is very common depending on which IPL is used for re-assembly.  I have found that the FDT Landlord "Series" IPL to be incorrect for the round hood tractors in more ways than just the differential.

AC710
18 hours ago, Tom45 said:

The 7016 had a new differential professionally installed by a local L&G shop for $500 before I got it. They left out the spacer washers and did not put any grease or a seal in the new unit. Fortunately I found out before too much damage was done. I put in two O-rings for a couple bucks instead of the OEM  elastic band. I have not had a chance to see if this is going to work.