Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Early Legacy worn driveshaft

SmilinSam

I suspect slide-on spline is to compensate for minor variations in engine location.  I have thought that 2 U-joints were overkill on the Sunstar.

44 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I suspect slide-on spline is to compensate for minor variations in engine location.  I have thought that 2 U-joints were overkill on the Sunstar.

Carl slid under mine today and watched as it was running , at the angle it is running you need two u-joints to compensate for angle. 

I have a very slight vibration and watching it saw nothing really strange, I am going to remove it in a couple months when things slow down

2 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Any tips to installing

Pretty sure I'm looking at the correct parts list this time.  The u-joints on the Legacy are pressed in.  I saw several youtube videos that will show you all you need to know.

3 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Should get the 2nd u-joint next week. Any tips to installing? Never replaced a u-joint before...

pretty simple just use your vise and a socket, be careful not to get any rollers out of place

I can't really explain how to do but it's simple for me, look at video's they suggest

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I take grease on my finger when I get the caps off and coat the needle bearings to help hold them in while pressing them together and use a vise like Lloyd said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sam; once you have the crosses and caps and keepers altogether; take a minute to flex the joints in any direction they will move. If anything feels unnaturally tight open your vice and set the yolk on the jaws. TAP the shaft right next to the yolk with a deadblow hammer. Rotate the shaft 180 and do the same in the other direction. This helps center the cross in the caps and relieve any binding. Did this little trick hundreds of times during my 27 years of working on fleet maintenance for the telephone company up here in Ontario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got it all together this morning. Noticable difference between it and the used parts driveshaft. No vibration at all that I can tell anyhow. Waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than when we started this project.dOd

• Like 5