Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PhanDad

Sealed Front Wheel Bearing in a RBT?

PhanDad

I continue to have water getting into the front wheel bearings (left mostly) of my snowblower tractor.  It's happened to several tractors over the years, all RBT's the the "washer" type seal.  In late spring/early summer after the tractor has sat for a few months, I notice a wheel doesn't like to turn, I take it off and find the inner wheel bearing pretty rusty.  The left wheel inner bearing has always been the most rusty.   

I'm thinking the exhaust which exits just in front of the left front wheel warms the wheel somewhat and when it cools down it sucks a bit of the melted snow past the "seal".  The seal works OK to keep grass and dirt out, but apparently not water.  The tractors are stored inside (not heated) at all times when not in use, so the water must be getting in there during operation and/or as it dries.  

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  If so, did you find a remedy?

I'm thinking of switching to the old FBT type sealed bearing.  Since the bearing race is the same for both FDT and RBT tractors, I figure it should fit.  I may have to adjust the "washer" stack to get it positioned correctly.  

Has anyone done this?  Am I missing something?

I also thought of installing a marine "bearing buddy" to the front wheels, but thought I'd try the sealed bearing first.  

Chris727

By sealed bearing, I am assuming you are referring to the cone bearing with integral seal? They are expensive but being double lipped will do a better job of keeping out moisture. Make sure you get Timkens. I got some "off brand" off eBay from Europe. The seals were so flimsy that they were basically useless. 

Edited by Chris727

PhanDad
54 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

By sealed bearing, I am assuming you are referring to the cone bearing with integral seal?

Yes, I should have said "like the FDTs used". 

Except for the seal, they're the same as far as I can tell.   

Bill725

Bill,

I replace the outer bearing caps with bearing buddies meant for boat trailers. Just make sure the void between the inner and outer race is filled with grease. Fill the bearing buddy with grease to compress the spring until the grease squirts out the small hole. I have bearing buddies on all (5) my BGB tractors and put them on my 2000 Sovereign I purchased new and I have never had a problem and I yet to service the bearings. The only down side is grease being forced out the inner side of the wheel. I also only use high temperature grease with moly.

ShaunE
2 hours ago, Bill725 said:

The only down side is grease being forced out the inner side of the wheel.

And the Baby Moon Hubcaps won't fit.  But unnecessary if you have those nice chrome rims    ;-)

Edited by ShaunE

MrSteele

Part of my BGB rebuild is a better seal on the front wheels. I am still waiting on the machine shop for the housing bushing, but have been told I should have it later this week. While it has been down, I have done a lot more to the tractor. I do not have a snowblower, but, do not like the "seals" that were on my machine, though I had changed the Simplicity "washer seal" to a double lip seal a long time ago. The seals did not seal well against the 3/4 spindle. They kept dirt out well enough, but not moisture. I wash my machines on a semi regular basis, and that water crept in enough to require repacking yearly.. I thought about the bearing buddies, too, but would have to deal with grease removal at the front spindle more than I wanted. This time, I found a seal for a 1" shaft, had spacers made to fit the spindle, and long enough to reach from the bearing the the end. I have tried washers, etc to take up the space, but the spacers will have an interference fit, and have to be pressed on. That should keep most of the moisture out, and the new double lip seal will keep the rest. I will send pics when I get the parts, prior to, during, and after assembly, and revisit in a year or so, or after the 2nd or 3rd washing

• Like 2

PhanDad
2 hours ago, MrSteele said:

I will send pics when I get the parts, prior to, during, and after assembly, and revisit in a year or so, or after the 2nd or 3rd washing

Looking forward to it.

Please include part numbers for purchased parts and dimensions for other parts.  I did find the sealed bearings on Amazon for about $22, much better than what Simplicity wants.

• Like 1

victorsnc
On 3/11/2019 at 12:18 PM, PhanDad said:

Looking forward to it.

Please include part numbers for purchased parts and dimensions for other parts.  I did find the sealed bearings on Amazon for about $22, much better than what Simplicity wants.

Would you please send a link or description of what you found on Amazon??

PhanDad
2 minutes ago, victorsnc said:

Would you please send a link or description of what you found on Amazon??

The bearing is Timken  LM11900LA (LA denotes it's sealed)

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-LM11900LA902A1-Taper-Cone-Duo-Seal/dp/B000PI4HEM

The above doesn't include a race.  That has to be purchased separate.  It's Timken  LM11910; but they're expensive ($7.60):

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-LM11910-Wheel-Bearing/dp/B001544VPA/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=LM11910&qid=1552419847&s=automotive&sr=1-2

If I need new races, I'd buy a Timken Set2 (includes unsealed bearing and same race) for $8.72:

https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SET2-Bearing-Set/dp/B000BZ52DO/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=LM11910&qid=1552419847&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Or a pair for $10.99:

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Agricultural-WPS-LM11949-LM11910/dp/B01EBLDX0M/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=LM11910&qid=1552419847&s=automotive&sr=1-4

You might do as well (or better?) if you search around.  I've found Amazon prices have been fluctuating lately.