Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler KT19 Fuel Pump Questions for the Group

airgunner

Hello all, newer member here. I last posted in December regarding a purchasing decision on a local 7119. I did end up buying it for 500 bucks, no deck but a decent blower. It is a real solid tractor, with 600 hours on the meter. I've done all fluids, filters, adjustment, and am currently painting it and doing some cosmetic restoration. I've got 6 hours on it from blowing snow and it runs out well. I think it needs a fuel pump rebuild as it is siphoning a small amount of fuel thru the diaphragm into the crankcase as is common with these opposed twins. I know I can install a low pressure electric pump, which I probably will do, but I'm curious if anyone has ever converted a KT series to a vacuum pulse pump. My specific concern/question is where to tap in for a vacuum source. The better option may be electric, I'm just weighing my options. Ironically right after I brought this tractor home a super clean 48in deck popped up on our local Craigslist for 200 bucks, so I snagged it and now I should be able to keep this old 7119 working for another 35 years winter and summer.

Thanks Ron. I've done that already and am faithfully doing that. I put shut offs on my Sunstar and Sovereign as well. I am leaning toward an electric pump as I am giving the 7119 to a relative and I know he will never get in the habit of turning off the fuel valve each time.

I like electric fuel pumps.

however I had an application

where the electric fuel pump maintained pressure to carb

when motor was not running

solved that one with pressure regulator

with the gas tank on the 7119 as high as it is

probably do not need fuel pump at all

i have seen some electric shutoff valves

never have been able to find one when I wanted

espeecially a cheap one

Edited by Ronald Hribar
Fat fingers

There are new pumps available on several of the sales sites like flea bay.  Not terribly expensive.  Are you sure it's the pump and not the carb leaking?

Ken

I just serviced a 919 AC a month ago that leaked gas enough to notice wet reflections on the leaves and junk on top of the engine. I found the KT-19 II four fuel pump corner screws all slightly loose, and 1/4" fuel lines cracked & about too hard to remove without slicing. Hard to imagine removing the intake manifold, carb (coil, gov linkage, ...) for occasional maintenance but I was probably close to melting an engine down from the gas and heavy leaf accumulation. If I can do it when it was 5° out, get prepared, comfy, dig in to the chore - and maybe don't need to throw money at pump/parts except new flexible fuel hose. They make some shiney (vinyl?) impressive hose now that must be mostly silicone. Well worth doing. Would not think electric pump on this needed, unless the tank was under seat like JD & Ariens. 

• Like 1

For my 2 cents, I would replace the fuel pump with a OEM one and put on a fuel shut off. These tractors we're designed to have a gravity fed system on them so a electric fuel pump probably be not the way to go. I have replaced all fuel pumps and add fuel shut off to my Allis Chalmers 917(2), and 914 also on my Deutz Allis 919.

The KTs in the 7100/900 series tractors will run just fine with no carb adjustments with the fuel pump bypassed.  The bottom of the tank sits higher than the carb.  Still use a shut-off valve though.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your suggestions. I may try simply bypassing the mechanical pump entirely and run new fuel line directly to the carb. If the engine stalls or hesitates I can always replace the OE pump or install an electric. Here is a pic of the tractor, I just removed the blower today. This is my first KT engined tractor. I've owned many Commands and Briggs singles, but this is new. I really love the sound of the flat twin. It is very smooth and quiet, and seems quite torquey. With the Craigslist deck and all of the fluids, filters, and ignition and breather parts, I still only have about 850 bucks in it.

20190317_181953-1.jpg

• Like 3