Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New owner with lots of questions

I just purchased a 7016 with hydrostatic drive and a 42" mower. I don't know anything about simplicity tractors but they just looked solid and looked like they would hold up to heavy usage. The tractor is a 74 model ,I believe as the motor, 16HP briggs, was dated 9/21/73. I did not get a manual with the tractor so i don't know a lot about them. My first question concerns the hydrostatic drive. I opened up the cover on the vertical canister and to my surprise did not find a filter. Is there a filter on the hydrostat and where? My next question is what type of fluid do i use in the hydro? It looks like automatic transmission fluid. My next question concerns the drive coupling. It appears to be bolted solid to the crank in the Briggs. I would have thought that they would have used a flex coupling. Has someone removed the flex coupling? My last question for now concerns the starter/generator. It cranks and starts the motor but doesn't charge the battery. it also appears that someone has fabricated a bracket and mount for it. How do I tell if this is the right one for my tractor? It is a Delco Remy. Could someone have taken one off of an old Chevy and bolted it on my tractor? Any help will be greatly appreciated. ClydeM

Sounds like you have one of the early 7000 series that still used the old Vickers transmission. There is indeed supposed to be a filter (Simplicity part #166147)It sits in the bottom of the resevoir with a flat washer on top and a spring on top of that around the threaded rod that you nut the cap onto. They use dexron transmission fluid in those as per the instruction manual. Yes, there is supposed to be a fiberglass coupler between the flywheel and the driveshaft, and another on the other end of the driveshaft to the yoke on the bevel gear box. Generator is a Delco Remy. I'd have to see a picture of what you are describing to pass judgement on the fabrication aspect. Charging problems could be the generator, the regulator , battery or the wiring if its been hacked on. You can get manuals for that tractor from Simplicity at Simplicity Publications(262)284-8519. You will need the MFG# off the tractor. (in front of the seat on the frame) SmilinSam

Hello Clyde Below is a link that might help with the tranny oil. The engine is supposed to be connected to the shaft thru a flexeble disk made out of fiberglass or somthing like that. The shaft has a piece of flat-iron welded onto the end with two holes in it with bolts going thru the disk. Then the disk is bolted to the flywheel fan (with spacers) Hope this helps Lawrence Oops, looks like somone else beat me to it while I was typing![A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=2614&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=2614&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like i need a flex coupler. I think i will call Simplicity for the manuals. As for the gen brackets, I'm sure they're homemade. I can still see the cutting torch slag on the angle. I sure do wish that i had found this site before i bought the 7016. I've learned alot in just the last two days. Is the swap from a Vickers to a Sundstrand difficult or is it just a swapout? ClydeM

You would need a donor tractor with all the control lever hardware. You would also need to cut out the sleeve from the frame on the donor and weld it in on your tractor in the very same place and drill a hole in the side to mount the safety switch on yours in the same place as on the donor. I have a bunch of brackets and misc parts to sell for these tractors if the need should arise.