Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Drifting Legacy XL

GregB

Is the hydro control system and brake system the same on the Legacy and on the XL?

When stopped on a slight grade, with no pedals being pushed, it drifts down hill.

I tried applying a slight reverse pedal pressure, but it started backing up out of position.

Is there a way to adjust for the sensitivity of the trans control?

Also on the brake system, can it be adjusted to pull the braking point higher in the stroke?

Or to reduce the travel needed to engage brake?

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1

Greg, they are entirely different.  If you are not seeing creep on level ground, then i would say the creep on a slope you're experiencing is normal, and the park brake is the only way to avoid it.

I actually cut my brake pedal bar, took a wedge out, and re-welded it so the bar angles the pedal back toward me.  Works great.  I did just enough so that the pedal would clear my cab front, but not interfere with my forward pedal with big boots on.  Now that I have a second XL, without this mod, that long reach drives me crazy.  It's a long way out there!  I don't know of any adjustment but I'm sure there is a way.

I also never cared for the reverse speed, and upon investigation, noticed that the pedal would bottom out before the linkage travel was exhausted.  I modded my reverse pedal to raise it, and use more of the linkage travel.  It has a nice reverse speed now, whereas before, it was aggravatingly slow.  I simply elongated one of the bolt holes so I could 'swing' the pedal upward and snugged it.

• Like 1

Thanks Josh.

You would think that with as many years as the XL has been in production, they would have a repair manual available.  Wonder what the dealerships use?

Now that its warming up here, I can start to look at the XL and try to figure it out.

Could you snap a pic of the brake pedal mod?  It is long reach to set the brake.  My shoe hits the soft cab as I apply the brake.

Edited by GregB
  • Like 1

I would love a repair manual for that thing. I got a stack of manuals for mine. I downloaded all the ones for the rear end, engine and all the implements. Ebrake is adjustable but you wont lessen the throw just brake tension. As far as creeping my dads creeps back on flat ground. He just sets the ebrake.

• Like 1