Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New here and new to tractors. Simplicity Landlord 20 DLX

webbie1

So I took the plunge and bought myself a used Simplicity Landlord 20 DLX.  It has just under 700 hours on it, and came with a 50" deck, 42" snowblower, and 36" tiller attachment.  It has the power steering and locking rear differential.  I want to start with changing all the fluids and filters, and lubricating all of the parts that need lubrication.  They guy gave me all new belts for it, and a box full of parts.  He only used it for the tiller and snowblower, so ever since he inherited it from his grandmother, he never used the deck, which is the main thing that I bought it for.  So I will definitely need to sharpen the blades and learn how to install the deck.

What I'm looking for initially is if anyone has a recommendation for a maintenance kit (I've seen some from Jack's and other places) for Briggs Vanguard 20 on this machine.   I want to do the trans filter and fluid, engine oil and filter, air filter, and fuel filter to start with.   I have everything to learn about this thing, but really want to start off on the right foot and hopefully keep this thing working for many years to come.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions,

Warner

• Like 2

If that transmission has the one narrow internal filter behind a plastic plug, I have been told by more than one dealer not to mess with changing that if the transmission is running right. Got one for a Conquest we bought new and after hearing that I never did change it. Tractor has going on 1500 hours and it still runs around fine.

Apparently changing it can potentially cause some problems. Dont know if anyone else has heard this or not.  On my Prestiges and such, I just keep the fluid levels up , and if they have a screw on external filter , I change those periodically.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 4:16 PM, SmilinSam said:

If that transmission has the one narrow internal filter behind a plastic plug, I have been told by more than one dealer not to mess with changing that if the transmission is running right. Got one for a Conquest we bought new and after hearing that I never did change it. Tractor has going on 1500 hours and it still runs around fine.

Apparently changing it can potentially cause some problems. Dont know if anyone else has heard this or not.  On my Prestiges and such, I just keep the fluid levels up , and if they have a screw on external filter , I change those periodically.

Good advice.  I'll hold off on that.  Any reasoning behind not changing it?

Warner

On 3/18/2019 at 3:25 PM, MARK (LI) said:

Start with getting teh manuals

https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/support/manuals.html

I think you will find it to be a big help

Thanks Mark.  It came with the user manuals.  I'll check the link out when I get home and have access to my model number.  Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to attach the mowing deck.  I got the front part on, but not real sure how the back of the deck attaches.  One side of the back of the deck has a 3 link length of chain, which looks like it may bolt onto something above....and I found another length of chain the same size in a box of parts the guy gave me.  There's also a long rod with a clip that holds the "hanger" for the deck.  I'm sure it's pretty simple, once you see how it attaches......but that's what I'm struggling with at the moment.

Warner

That chain attaches to the height adjustment control....just identify the handle that would lower and raise the deck...have someone move it and look underneath...you will find the lower end with a way to attach the short chain...if you got the manuals you should find a pretty good graphic and directions to guide you...the chain in the box sounds like an extra

1 minute ago, MARK (LI) said:

That chain attaches to the height adjustment control....just identify the handle that would lower and raise the deck...have someone move it and look underneath...you will find the lower end with a way to attach the short chain...if you got the manuals you should find a pretty good graphic and directions to guide you...the chain in the box sounds like an extra

So only ONE chain attaches the deck in the back?

Warner

2 minutes ago, MARK (LI) said:

If I remember correctly.....is yours manual or mechanical lift?

I believe it's mechanical.  I know the roto tiller and snowblower lift with a lever hydraulically.

Warner

1 hour ago, webbie1 said:

Good advice.  I'll hold off on that.  Any reasoning behind not changing it?

Warner

This was back in 2004 that I heard all this, so if I am remembering right it was something to do with dislodging debris around the filter and getting it in the transmission???..that and leaks from not getting the plug back in right. At least thats what I think it was..

At any rate. I'd ask your local established dealer before I'd  change it myself, and see what they say.

2 hours ago, webbie1 said:

Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to attach the mowing deck.  I got the front part on, but not real sure how the back of the deck attaches.  One side of the back of the deck has a 3 link length of chain, which looks like it may bolt onto something above

I'm not real familiar with the newer Landlords, but I think the deck should look something like this:

pic1.jpg.7d6337d32a2e3967b3d83fc7fcfe98c2.jpg

It has the traditional Simplicity  deck features: attached (pinned) to the front of the tractor (usually the front axle) and the back rides on full length rollers across the back of the deck.  

Any chain or cable is used just for transport to raise the rear rollers off the ground; you don't cut with the deck "up".  You adjust the cutting height by raising and lowering the rear roller bar via the crank handle at the right rear of the deck. 
As stated above, the manual for the tractor and/or deck should tell you where the lift chain attaches.  Or, operate the lift handle or electric lift switch and see which lever arm is moving under the frame.  I'd think that's what the chain attaches to.  

Edited by PhanDad
Spelling
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

I'm not real familiar with the newer Landlords, but I think the deck should look something like this:

pic1.jpg.7d6337d32a2e3967b3d83fc7fcfe98c2.jpg

It has the traditional Simplicity  deck features: attached (pinned) to the front of the tractor (usually the front axle) and the back rides on full length rollers across the back of the deck.  

Any chain or cable is used just for transport to raise the rear rollers off the ground; you don't cut with the deck "up".  You adjust the cutting height by raising and lowering the rear roller bar via the crank handle at the right rear of the deck. 
As stated above, the manual for the tractor and/or deck should tell you where the lift chain attaches.  Or, operate the lift handle or electric lift switch and see which lever arm is moving under the frame.  I'd think that's what the chain attaches to.  

OK....thanks for that!   Helpful for sure.....much appreciated.  And that IS what the deck looks like, and it does have the roller and the crank handle....

Warner

12 hours ago, webbie1 said:

So only ONE chain attaches the deck in the back?

Warner

On these tractors there are two chains at the rear and the front hanger is  "quick-attach." Download the operators manual for the mower deck and it should show installation illustrations. 

8 hours ago, Chris727 said:

On these tractors there are two chains at the rear and the front hanger is  "quick-attach." Download the operators manual for the mower deck and it should show installation illustrations. 

I have that.  I'm not sure how the chains attach to the lift....I'm thinking there's a bar or bracket of some sort....I am not sure if I have it.  I need a better illustration of what exactly connects to the lifting cylinder....

Thanks,

Warner

I think I found an illustration that shows what I need to see.  I'll take a look when I get home and see if I can make sense of it...

Warner

https://www.partstree.com/parts/simplicity/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/1693810-simplicity-landlord-dlx-garden-tractor-w-ps-diff-lock-54-deck-23hp-hydro/lift-mechanism-group-hydraulic-985537/

57 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

If you can't determine from that, I can try to take some pics of my machine later. 

Thanks!   The illustration will definitely help.  I may need to buy (or make) a couple of pins and get some clips for them.  I want to see the orientation between the hydraulic cylinder and the other parts.  Part number 9 from the illustration may be missing also....I'll have to rummage through the parts and see what I can find.

Much appreciated!

Warner

• Like 1

I figured it all out.  I want to pull the deck off and hit the grease fittings and sharpen the blades, but I know how it all goes back together now.  I'll upgrade the nuts and bolts that hold the chains onto the deck, but I had all the pins and clips that were needed, and the piece that I thought I may be missing.  I was able to raise and lower the deck with the lever, so it's all good.  Thanks for the help guys.

Warner

2 minutes ago, irvtoms said:

just put my deck on.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Yep, that's pretty much how mine looks, but I don't have the washers.  I can probably find some suitable ones once I get all my tools and stuff sorted out....still unpacking boxes from my move.   The 3 link chains.....those are held onto the deck with nuts and bolts, correct?   I'm pretty sure that's what my owner's manual shows.

Warner

8 minutes ago, irvtoms said:

just put my deck on.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

I notice in your picture that the MIDDLE link of the 3 link chain is what the pin goes through on top.  How do the other two links connect to the deck?   Bolt and nut, correct?   I'm going to take my deck off this weekend and get the blades off and sharpened.....use the ones it came with initially and see how they do.  If they need to be replaced, I'll get the Oregon Gator blades to replace them.

Warner