Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dlx power steering

irvtoms

have a 20 hp landlord dlx i bought with a blown motor and other probs.

new 18 hp vanguard and sundry other parts later im ready to mow.

the ? i have is how much play are you sposed to have in the torque

generator? everything else is tight, but lots of play before it starts

turning. dealer says there is ho adjustment, and none listed in the

repair manual. thanks for ant help. --irv

I am looking at the diagram on Partstree.com, and there are a couple of places you can look for slop. Unlike my manual steering 18, which has a direct shaft to the gear that runs the sector gear, there are 2 collars that attach the upper and lower shafts to the torque generator.  If the holes are wallowed out or the bolt pins are worn, this will cause slop. This is in addition to wear in the sector gears, drag link ends, or tie rod ends.  Here is a link to the diagram:

https://www.partstree.com/parts/simplicity/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/1693383-simplicity-landlord-dlx-garden-tractor-w-ps-diff-lock-20hp-hydro/steering-group-power-steering-985518/

iplimage.png

Edited by bnolte
  • Like 2

Great advice by @bnolte above.

I have no direct experience with the torque generators, but I've several adds where the seller stated the "torque generator needs to be replaced because it's worn".  

Maybe one of our members with direct experience will comment.  

I got one I robbed out of a dlx and put into a manual steer sunstar for power steering. The torque generator itself should pretty much turn  out the bottom as you turn the steering wheel on top. At least this is the way this one works.

I have found that all my play is in the connection points between the lower end of the torque generator and the wheels. However there is always a certain amount of drift in them it seems, where one has to constantly correct your travel to maintain a perfectly straight direction with the tractor.

My experience with them anyhow.

Dealing with wallowed out stuff on the old Cub Cadets was always a pain,  they used pins everywhere on the drivelines, steering knuckles, and snowblowers. Options seem to be to drill out to an oversize hole to use an oversize bolt or pin, weld up and redrill or machine whatever was worn, or buy new parts. The old Cubs with their worm drive steering boxes tended to quickly get sloppy. It wasn't unusual to have 1/4 of a turn of slop in them, and had 3 inches of slop even with a freshly greased and adjusted box, and upgraded drag link and tie rod ends. This was one of the things that sold me on the Simplicity.