Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Old Sunstar 16 front PTO clutch replacement

Viator

Hello, and thanks for reading this post.

I bought a used Simplicity Sunstar 16 garden tractor (mod 1691357) a couple of years ago for mowing. Ended up subsequently buying a big Ransomes mower, so the Sunstar became a supplemental mower. It has seen a lot of use, but the engine still seems strong, and my girlfriend's son loves the machine. We nicknamed it Orange Crush, and its hard to give up a machine with its own nickname.

Problem is, the front PTO clutch was iffy from the time I bought it. Sometimes it would cut off, deck would stop cutting. I troubleshot the wiring and seat interlock (couldn't find a problem), and ultimately brought it in to a local mower/tractor repair shop. They initially misdiagnosed it as an electrical issue, but in the end they pulled the clutch and said that that it was shot....bearing was toast, clutch plate was warped.....just a goner.

So, I have done some internet shopping for a new PTO clutch. OEM clutch (using Simplicity PN 1674750SM) is going for around $600+. Aftermarket clutch on eBay, Amazon, etc is about $350.

Is there any less-expensive choice for a new PTO clutch than these options? Or do I need to suck it up and lay out the cash if I want to keep this old workhorse for mowing?

I welcome any thoughts or advice you might have.

First, hello and welcome to the club. I guess if it were me, I would keep a search on ebay and my local CL for a used one. I've never needed one myself, but I seem to remember seeing them pop up from time to time for less than half the aftermarket price above. Good luck.

• Like 2

My 1650 cub has the new "floating" style PTO clutch on it off a salvage tractor (Sears I think). Cost... "0". They're all 12v negative. If the pully diameter is close and the crank diameter is right....

The new floating style is easy to retrofit. Spacers on the crank for front to back alignment and 1 bolt or pin to keep the magnet winding from spinning and Shazam, you're done.

• Like 2