Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rollers digging up lawn

john

Why is it i feel so DUMB on this forum???!!! Noticed a post further down about the rollers on the series 4000 tractors having a tendancy to "catch" on roots when in reverse.....my 912 rollers catch on stuff forwared and reverse.... causes guages in my new lawn due to items as small as a pine cone. Just a part of the game or can something be adjusted? Rollers are not excessively loose on the bearings and I mow with the deck fully lowered. Should I just be more careful and clean up lawn before mowing or can something be done to help rollers ride over small obsticles? Doesn't seem to take much to catch on them and dig a nice groove. Thanks.

Yup, Brett. Due to their small diameter, the rollers will catch and drag some types of cones and other such. With the deck set at max height these may not get sucked up and spit out. Only solution I've found is, yes, clean up first. Especially on fresh turf. This seems to be the only circumstance under which gauge wheels have an advantage.

Brett, I had the same problem with a NEW lawn (especially in sandy soil). When the lawn gets good and established this problem will be minimized.
MS

Brett, Why not purchase my trac. mounted PTO operated vac.[see classifieds] then you won't have to rake up first. Or a possibly cheaper option would be to hire Fred to 'pre-rake for you! Yes it will suck up pine cones and SMALL twigs turning them into mulch. It has a steel housing and steel paddle and it's an OEM Simp. attachment that mounts on the rear hitch assy. dlc

Oh well, thought I'd find an easy way out but NOOOO. It is happening the most in the newer parts of the lawn that aren't well established. dlc, i'm saving my pennies for fall then we'll talk. until then I think the idea of Fred's pre-raking service is super!!!! Fred? Fred???? FRED????

'Cuz it's hard to get a big rake in those overhead bins. And my preferred airline is Midwest Express as I like the big leather seats and gourmet food, so you'll have to pick me up at La Guardia. Just follow the link to book my flight, or flights, depending on how many times you want me to rake, and let me know what (minimum four-diamond) motel I'll be staying in. If you can't pick me up, just let me know what color my rental Cadillac will be.
If Dave will chip in, I'd be glad to visit him too. We can go out for that Grand Slam he always promised.
Oh, and a $50 per-diem ought to be enough; I wouldn't want to be piggish.
Looking forward to hearing about my itinerary soon![A href='http://www.midwestexpress.com/']http://www.midwestexpress.com/[/a]

You tell them Fred cuz on one going to give that kind of change and besides it would in know way be like a choo choooo riddeeee......call hunting ->jack-happyjack