Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

LMichaels

Spindle Bushings

LMichaels

The other day at Menard's I came across a whole section of bronze bushings (generic), has anyone tried this route? What is the actual size of the bushings ID/OD as that is how they're sold. So thinking of trying this route

• Thanks 1

TomSchmit

Larry - I recall that these are split bushings, quite thin. I suspect that they are not a standard dimension and probably not included in the offerings at Menards or Ace, etc. I think I have a set among my wheel parts and I will take a look and measure if I can find some. Tom

LMichaels

Thanks, as also wondering if anyone has successfully used needle bearings in place of bushings? BTW I found the measurements of the actual part and you're right. They are not standardized dimensions. I guess that would have been too easy LOL

PhanDad
2 hours ago, LMichaels said:

Thanks, as also wondering if anyone has successfully used needle bearings in place of bushings? BTW I found the measurements of the actual part and you're right. They are not standardized dimensions. I guess that would have been too easy LOL

Interesting idea.  

But, if the OEM bushings aren't standard dimensions, then needle bearings would be a tough go. 

The B1212 needle bearings used in the FDT BGB input shaft are for 3/4" shafts (correct size) and are spec'd for a bore of 0.9995" to 1.0005". 

What is the OD of the OEM bushing?  If it's smaller, you'd have to get the kingpin (???) hole in the axle assembly bored/reamed. 

If it's larger, you're out of luck - at least as far as Timken/Torrington catalog goes.  The catalog does show a 3/4" shaft with larger bore (1.0620" to 1.0630") needle bearing, but not full complement, just caged complement (JH112).  I'm thinking a caged complement wouldn't be acceptable but worth a try??? 

• Thanks 1

CarlH

Might be worthwhile to extend this thread to include dimensions for the Sunstar bushings.  Many of the Sunstar's that I've seen seem to have a worse wear problem than the Sovereign's even though they generally are newer and have larger (1.00" IIRC) spindles.  I think that needle bearings would be a good solution even with the need for counter-boring the axle components. I would be willing to try it with a drill press on the Sunstar since it looks to have enough metal in that area.

MrSteele
22 hours ago, PhanDad said:

If it's larger, you're out of luck - at least as far as Timken/Torrington catalog goes.  The catalog does show a 3/4" shaft with larger bore (1.0620" to 1.0630") needle bearing, but not full complement, just caged complement (JH112).  I'm thinking a caged complement wouldn't be acceptable but worth a try??

In a slightly different area of the machine...The front needle bearing in the BGB is not a full compliment from Simplicity. I bought one, but, it is still on the bench. Why go to the trouble of a rebuild and upgrade, just to put a junk bearing back in because it is new? I got a full compliment bearing from Motion Industries for that bearing

MrSteele

I put new bushings in my Landlord while waiting for the machine shop to bush the BGB. I bought BGB parts, front spindle bushings, BGB seals...from Simplicity. I bought front wheel seals, real needle bearings, and additional ball bearings for my next BGB repair on another Landlord from Motion. I even bought 1 new bushing from Motion for the front spindle. The difference in Simplicity, besides the split, is the simplicity bushings are dimpled for grease transfer. I liked the bushing from Motion better than the split, so cut grease grooves in the solid bushing, and pressed them in. I could not find a needle that would fit without machining, and figured the BGB machine work would set me back a few bucks. It did...$275, so far. Even if a needle bearing is used, if not properly and periodically greased, steering will not be improved for long. Be sure that whatever needle you use, that it is meant to be greased. It will have a hole cut into the outer races for grease entry/exit.