Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Identification of Simplicity from photo?

kelly88

What model is this simplicity?  Owner can only tell me it is a '95.  Would it be worth $500?  It is about an hr. drive, so I haven't gone to look at it yet.

simplicity.jpg

I'd guess Regent or Broadmoor based on the diameter of the rear wheel.  

Have the owner find the nameplate and get the MFG # for you.  You can then input the MFG# at the Simplicity manuals site and find out what it is.  

I don't have any experience with the smaller tractors;  so I really can't comment on price.  

Do you know what engine is in it?..I think it is a Broadmoor...in which case, in my opinion...it is worth the $500

Edited by MARK (LI)

Dont know what exact year they switched to tuff torq transmissions, but I wouldnt want it if it was one of the ones with a hydrogear transmission. Seen too many that would move around on flat ground and when they went to load them they would not pull themselves up a ramp or incline.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SmilinSam said:

Dont know what exact year they switched to tuff torq transmissions, but I wouldnt want it if it was one of the ones with a hydrogear transmission. Seen too many that would move around on flat ground and when they went to load them they would not pull themselves up a ramp or incline.

Agreed completely.  Got sold a bill of goods some years back.  Brought the Broadmoore home, and when it warmed up a bit it was useless.  Nor re-buildable, not serviceable transmissions are the downside of these.

Is there any obvious way of seeing if it is a hydro gear transmission or not? ( There is not much flat land where I live)

7 hours ago, kelly88 said:

Is there any obvious way of seeing if it is a hydro gear transmission or not? ( There is not much flat land where I live)

There is usually a tag riveted to the tranny case. Dont remember if its to the back or one side of the case.

Even if the ground is flat, its like Brett indicated,  if there is a problem , once they warm up they quit working right.There have been discussions on this in here over the years. I think one of Al Edens posts laid the whole issue out. Seems like the Hydrogears in these Broadmoors failed in large numbers and hydrogear failed to stand behind their products. Simplicity ended up replacing alot of them with Tuff Torqs and then dropped Hydrogear in all the tractors and went to Tuff Torqs. Again, not sure but I think the switch was around the time that Broadmmors went to a foot control for the hydro. Someone elsein here  might remember more than I do on this.

And, it's too bad.  These were great mowers.  Turn on a dime, cut great, and like Sam said, the later ones were a foot controlled hydro.  If you find a good one, $500 would be a fair price IMHO.

I had a 98 Landlord with the Hydrogear. Never gave me any trouble though it was a much larger transmission than those in the Broadmoors.  This one had less than 400 hours also. I think 1999 was the changeover for most to foot control. Thats about the time the DLX Landlords came out which were foot controlled and had Tuff-Torqs. IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.073c929ba75593418271af2a0a601883.JPG