Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steve-wis

627 yeoman tranny plug

steve-wis

Hello,

Anyone know if the plastic fill plug for the tranny on a 627 Yeoman is available anywhere?  Mine is split.  My parts diagram seems to say it is a 3/8 pipe plug, but I am sure it is bigger, more like a 3/4.  Anyone have any info on this?  I can get a steel plug but would kind of like the plastic one if I can find one.

Steve

dhoadley

I've been puzzled by pipe dimensions before. They designate a pipe as 3/8" by its inside diameter opening, not by the outside thread. A 3/8" pipe would be about 3/4" at the thread. This truck driver has learned this hard lesson removing cast iron radiators from a room (had to cap the pipe) and having to make multiple trips to the hardware store to get it right, while doing a little light home renovation while on vacation.

TomSchmit

It is my experience that those plastic plugs are quite common. I though I had an extra one for you, Steve, but I have not found it yet. Have you tried your local tractor dealer scrapyard? Tom

steve-wis

Thanks for the responses!  It is a  3/4 pipe thread, and I picked up a steel plug today and installed it.  I am a bit confused as to why the parts book does not have a 3/4 pipe plug listed, maybe a misprint?  Anyway, the Yeoman is happy again and ready to start lawn mowing season.  Only problem is they are now calling for a chance of snow later this week!  Good thing the winter tractor is still ready to go too!

Steve

• Like 1