Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

irvtoms

2 dlx's , 2 different speeds

irvtoms

i have an 18hp landlorddlx that i bought new, and just bought another that was a 20 hp that blew

a rod and i repowered with an identical new vanguard 18 hp. seems like the top speed forward and

reverse are much higher on my new one .was the tuff torq w/ diff lock geared different than my regular

differential? and, seeings the diff lock lever hardly moves, how do you put it in mode? stop and put your foot on

it? nothing said in operators manual or shop manual. thanks for any input--.irv

PhanDad

I don't know DLX details, but are the driver and driven pulleys on the two machines the same size? 

On Sovereign's, I've seen them changed out (usually the driven tranny pulley made smaller) by an owner to increase ground speed.  

• Like 1

Chris727

They should have had similar operable speeds from new. There might be an adjustment on some of the pedal linkage. I would look for that first. As for the diff lock, it is designed to only lock when you depress the pedal. It shouldn't be necessary to run with it engaged all of the time.