Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rebuilt 42" deck

jsciutto

Just finished rebuilding my 42" deck.  Spindles and bearings were in good shape.  Replaced the rollers (home made) and the roller axel.  Used a hardened shaft for the axel so I used collars to limit the center rollers and tinnerman caps for the outer set.  Decals sitting in the basement.  Just need to finish the tractor now.

rebuilt 42 deck 2.jpg

rebuilt 42 deck 3.jpg

rebuilt 42 deck.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the nice comments.  I will be using it for my yard.  I added the diamond plate to give it some protection (I think it looks pretty good too).

I'd be glad to work on others, if you can get my wife to agree.  Her maiden name is "The Hun" so good luck.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, jsciutto said:

Thanks for the nice comments.  I will be using it for my yard.  I added the diamond plate to give it some protection (I think it looks pretty good too).

I'd be glad to work on others, if you can get my wife to agree.  Her maiden name is "The Hun" so good luck.

I have never personally met a women named Atilla !

21 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

I have never personally met a women named Atilla !

What?!?  Have you been living in some remote Monastery with a bunch of monks?!?  666

Don't think I have ever seen a mower deck with such a good paint job!  Looks better than brand-new.  What kind of prep-work did you do on the metal before painting?

I appreciate the nice comments.  I told my wife I posted some photos and was getting good feedback.  I believe I neglected to inform her about any nick-names I may have used.

I prepped with a Harbor Freight PC wheel to remove the old paint and used Rustoleum primer/filler (not the correct name but hopefully you get the idea) and sanded with 120/220.  I've been using this on some other parts and it seems to work well.

The deck was in good shape I just had to straighten a couple of small areas.  Paint is Rustoleum Farm implement rattle can (AC orange).  I'm happy with how it turned out.  I will likely continue to use the spray cans for the small items and will get a gun to do the hood and rear end (when the time comes).

9 hours ago, jsciutto said:

Paint is Rustoleum Farm implement rattle can (AC orange).  I'm happy with how it turned out.  I will likely continue to use the spray cans for the small items and will get a gun to do the hood and rear end (when the time comes).

I think that Rustoleum is as good as any rattle can, colors do vary.  But maybe it's me or the paint I purchase, but orange / red seems to to be the hardest to cover with.  Black, simple.  Even the Antique White or Almond that people use seems to cover quite well.  But any orange I use?  Multiple, multiple coats to get a uniform cover.  Maybe I will buy a quart and use the gun I have next time.  Or, maybe it's just me.  But IMHO, orange is a pain when it comes to covering.  

• Thanks 1