Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

landlord dlx ps ?'s

irvtoms

seeings ive never had a dlx before with power steering im asking anyone who

has had one.--how much do you turn the wheel before  the tires start

turning>.have put in all new bushings everywhere, took the slop out

of the couplers and replaced the torque generator with a brand new unit.

also new lower steering gear. should be as tight as new. i dont have anything to

compare it to. may end up making it a manual steering. have the shaft andwashers.

need the experts here. thank you!--irv

I have added power steering to mine. Its poor compared to the power steering on other tractors I've had such as my JD 345 which has both a cylinder and valve. Even right after installation it was hard to keep a straight line. Seems to be typical of the torque generator systems. 

• Like 1

What Chris said.

I swapped a DLX system into a manual steer Sunstar. My experience is constant minor corrections to make a long straight line. Mostly use it to plow snow in front of my shed in the winter, so it doesnt bother me much.

THANKS GUYS ! i thought it was me. ive had my manual steering tractor

since new and thought it was great. i have a neighbor with a sovereign w/ps.

its pretty precise compared to this. will give it a try mowing and see how it goes.

i assume the prestige isnt any better. uses the same generator.

5 hours ago, irvtoms said:

i assume the prestige isnt any better. uses the same generator.

I have 2 prestiges, one is about a 03 or 04, and the other is about an 07. While they dont track perfectly and still need minor corrections, neither is as bad as the DLX ystem.

The only gripe I have about those is that while the earlier one can be steered with 2 fingers, the newer one requires alot more effort. So much so its almost - but not quite- like manual steering. Havnt found the cause as yet.

will pick up the rest of my misc steering parts tomorrow, do a little creative tack welding

and see how it goes.the new torque generator takes more effort than the old one on this

one too. what actual slop other than whats built in is on top of the spindle and the tie rod. the old t gen didnt leak. thoought mabe the knew on would have less slop. have reworked the couplers too.

the prestige looks darn similar in all the other parts they use.

Edited by irvtoms