Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

agco allis 918 hydro fluid

steve-wis

Hello again,

Now that the voltage regulator is replaced, my next two things to tackle are the carb, which I think will be just a good cleaning and maybe opening up the high jet a tat, and then the hydro fluid.  I got this tractor from a friend who used it only in the summer for mowing.  I use it only in the winter for snowblowing.  When the weather is warm, it all works great.  In cold weather, the hydro whines, and really kind of loudly at first, especially at faster speeds.  The hydro lift works fine either way.  Zippo tells me there are two ways to go with the hydro fluid.  One is to go synthetic, assuming it stays more workable at cold temps.  The other is using a winter rated fluid.  Does anyone know what the difference is between summer and winter fluid?  Where would you find winter rated fluid?  Does Simplicity sell it or is it aftermarket?  I haven't changed the fluid in this since I got it, have used it for two winters but the first I only blew snow a couple of times.  This last winter it got a workout so I want to change fluid and filter.  Anyone have advice for what to use?  Again, this will only be worked in the winter.  The cab and blower are always on it.

Thanks for any info!

Steve

There are two different fluids people use.  Dexron and universal tractor fluid.  Dexron is lighter weight than the UTF.   Because I mostly use mine in the summer, I use UTF in the hydrostatic.  I still use 90 gear oil in the bevel gear box 

Tom

Tom,

Is that Dexron VI automatic transmission fluid?  Thinking I may try that, I hardly move the tractor in warm weather.

This will create some controversy, but...  It's not too much of an overstatment to say almost anything that's slippery and wet will work in those hydro units. Sauer-Danfoss (aka Sundstrand) lists multiple accepted fluids. For example the same basic hydro drive unit in the early legacy tractor specs ATF type F, cub cadet said IH hy-tran, some other manufacturers specified motor oil. The bigger issue is probably mixing incompatible oil types. For that reason just stick to what was in it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RAC said:

The bigger issue is probably mixing incompatible oil types. For that reason just stick to what was in it.

I agree.  

If I were switching fluids, I'd do several drains/refill with new fluid to make sure the vast majority of old fluid was purged.  I'd also use the old filter (remove, drain, reinstall) until the final fill.  

• Like 1

I have no idea what is in it, I bought the tractor used and previous owner had it done for him and doesn't know what they used.  Having said that, the oil in it gets so thick in cold that when I start the tractor with clutch disengaged, as I let the clutch out the belt will sometimes slip for a bit before it starts to spin.  Because it was always a summer tractor, but now is always a winter tractor, I want to go to a better fluid for cold weather.  

On another note, anyone have the filter number?

I had the same problem with my Sovereign when bought new in 2000. During winter months, pump would cavitate during initial cold start up and tractor would creep forward. Changed fluid to Amsoil synthetic tractor/hydraulic transmission oil 5W-30 and problem went away.

If it is that thick they might have put gear oil in it.  I would drain it leaving the drain plug out for a couple of days before filling.  Flushing as noted above would not be a bad idea.  Remember when checking the oil to hold the vent plug plunger up.  There are two lengths of filters and some people prefer the long filter.  I do not know their numbers.  

Tom

2 hours ago, steve-wis said:

On another note, anyone have the filter number?

I have tractors with Three different length OEM Hydrostatic filters.  The longest one was used on the older Sundstrand units with the remote filter underneath & on the Powermax tractors.  Then I have two different length "shorter" filters threaded into the side of the "Newer" Sovereigns & I'm not sure why.  They are all 25 Micron Filters.

Hopefully someone can give more detail on the mid sized filter that is on my 75th.  It's painted Gray as it's original so I can't read the part #.

Long - #1650954

Mid-Sized - #1709322 - I think...

Short - #1671234

From the Late Great Maynard - https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/41614-transmission-gearbox-lubrication-charts/

Edited by ShaunE

49 minutes ago, ShaunE said:

Mid-Sized - #1709322 - I think...

That's the correct number for the side mount hydro filter.  

Others have posted equivalent other brand filters. 

BUT the important thing is they have to be 25 micron (or bigger).  The filter is on the suction side of the pump and if the micron rating is lower ("better filtration" - catches finer particles), the hydro can be starved. 

The one on the tractor now is a car quest filter, part number 85335.  Was hoping for a number for a fram or wix, which are both readily available in most places.  Anyone have the number for either of these?

Well, did some checking and then called the closest dealer, which is 25 miles away.  He has the original equipment filter so will pick it up tomorrow.  Pricy, and $20, but hopefully will be a rare need.  Also picked up dexron VI fluid, will drain and fill keeping the old filter on, run it a bit, then drain and refill with new filter.  That should take care of it.  Thanks for all the info, this 1994 Agco is the newest tractor I have owned and I am just getting familiar with it.  Sure blows snow nice tho!

Steve

Steve; the fluid you bought will be thin enough for winter operation. I would still let tractor warm up for a few minutes before using. Shorter filter was mainly to clear belt for rear attachments like the rotatiller.

7 hours ago, steve-wis said:

Was hoping for a number for a fram or wix, which are both readily available in most places.  Anyone have the number for either of these?

Did you open the link originally posted by Maynard?  That has the chart of ALL the fluids, capacities & filters.  It's a complete no brainer.

Yes, I opened the link, but it lists only the standard simplicity hydro oil.  I want to go to a thinner oil for all winter working.  That's why I am going to dexron VI.  The tractor sits all summer except for occasional start ups or moving to a different part of the garage once in a while.  Also, the info in the link is good but it is from 2005 or so, a lot of things have changed, and new stuff is available since then.

Edited by steve-wis