Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign 3314v and 3415H

Jimmybeam01

So I have been a lurker on this site for a long long time. I have been tinkering with lawn tractors and garden tractors on and off my entire life. But I have never had a sovereign before. I just landed two complete sovereigns, one is a 3415H and the other is a 3314V the V is running, but blew a tiny belt that drives the pto that drives the deck belt? Having troubles tracking down that. But my next question is, which one should I fix up? I’m guessing the H stands for hydrostatic. Got both for a song.. two decks, two snow blowers, two tractors. One runs and the other needs some work. I been looking for the tiller attachment. Can you guys educate me a bit on these two machines? Maybe point me in a direction of which or both I should fix up? 

Thanks for having me, look forward to learning more. Also I am from boyd wisconsin if anyone is close and may have parts?

thanks a bunch. 

Jimmy

1 minute ago, Jimmybeam01 said:

So I have been a lurker on this site for a long long time. I have been tinkering with lawn tractors and garden tractors on and off my entire life. But I have never had a sovereign before. I just landed two complete sovereigns, one is a 3415H and the other is a 3314V the V is running, but blew a tiny belt that drives the pto that drives the deck belt? Having troubles tracking down that. But my next question is, which one should I fix up? I’m guessing the H stands for hydrostatic. Got both for a song.. two decks, two snow blowers, two tractors. One runs and the other needs some work. I been looking for the tiller attachment. Can you guys educate me a bit on these two machines? Maybe point me in a direction of which or both I should fix up? 

Thanks for having me, look forward to learning more. Also I am from boyd wisconsin if anyone is close and may have parts?

thanks a bunch. 

Jimmy

Also I apologize if this isn’t in the correct place of the forum 

Welcome to the site. Your post is in the appropriate forum. As for the tractors, I personally would fix both if there was not much wrong with them. The 3314 is a little older than the 3415. The 3400 Series had an improved mid-PTO which utilizes a cone clutch. The 3300 series had a similar PTO to the earlier "foot dragger" tractors. 

• Thanks 1

The part number for the belt from the gearbox down to the lower pulley on the jackshaft is 2172066SM.  Runs around $16 at a Simplicity dealer. 

I see, I will do that. I do like the looks of these old girls. Very unique and they seem to be pretty stout. 

I think the most admirable part is the headlights.  I appreciate the part number friend, I will get that ordered.  I will take some time and start rebuilding stuff on the 3415. I really like these so far! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

Welcome to the site. Your post is in the appropriate forum. As for the tractors, I personally would fix both if there was not much wrong with them. The 3314 is a little older than the 3415. The 3400 Series had an improved mid-PTO which utilizes a cone clutch. The 3300 series had a similar PTO to the earlier "foot dragger" tractors. 

Ya I don’t know a whole lot about these. But i do appreciate you sharing you’re knowledge with me friend!

• Like 1

Welcome to the site. ...Great site with TONS of knowledge. Glad you decided to stop lurking and start participating. Good to have you. Feel free to post pics and get more involved.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kwt said:

I will do fellas! Tomorrow before I go to work I’ll zip out to the shop and take some photos. Ya the belt that broke is about the diameter of a coffee can? Kind of a weird belt. But hoping the one part number I provided will be the right one. But I agree, those pod lights are my favorite. Just makes the tractor ! I got two snow blowers, two decks two tractors, and two cabs for the two tractors! All I need now is a tiller for my garden and a pto for the hay elevator for when I’m making hay for the cows in the summertime 

So I got the belt and it was too loose, then I got one an inch smaller and it’s close to engaging. Am I routing this thing wrong or what the heck. I even measured the old belt and the new one is smaller. Help!

This this post for some info about the PTO belts:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/62639-couple-of-questions/

The above applies to the older FDTs with the same PTO setup and a 42" deck - but the belt lengths are different based on the info @Chris727 posted above (also his belt number is for an HB belt vs an HA belt for the FDT's). 

I can't see the drive pulley, but I'm guessing it's smaller than spec.  For the FDT's, the spec pulley is part #157121; it's 5" OD (with a bore for a 7/8" shaft). 

• Like 1

Ok so, I need an even smaller size? What’s strange is the belt that came off it is the same size as the ones I tried so I bought one that is smaller. And still not working. But the belt seems skinnier than the old 

On 4/16/2019 at 11:25 PM, Chris727 said:

The part number for the belt from the gearbox down to the lower pulley on the jackshaft is 2172066SM.  Runs around $16 at a Simplicity dealer. 

Chris you have any input on this ?

I just pulled the number out of the belt manual. I've never had a 3300 Series so I'm not sure what the adjustment procedure is on them. 

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

HA belts used on the FDTs are 1/2" V-belt basically; the belt @Chris727 listed is an HB which is basically 5/8".  

Belt_Xsection.thumb.JPG.3cb1de66ad24d92b2d6f6eb74dbdeb00.JPG

Ohhh so this is where the problem lies, don’t that the belt isn’t the right diameter it’s just the width 

• Like 1