Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6.5 hp briggs question

RayS

Hi, I have a 6.5hp ohv briggs on my troy bilt tiller,yesterday I was driving down the road when someone pulled out in front of me and I had to stop real fast and the tiller tipped over.I got out and set it back upright(should have had it tie down). when I got it home it would not start, so I took the air cleaner off of it and there was oil and crud in the air cleaner housing.I took the bowl off the bottom of the carb and cleaned it out with carb cleaner and sprayed cleaner in the ports and in the emulsion tube, put it back together and it started but ran ruff.the motor seems to kick the govenor up and down when running and back fires in the muffler while running. this would mean that it is getting more fuel than needed would`nt it. The carb is has no air mixture screws on it and the float is plastic. should I buy a new carb or rebuild it. could there sill be some stuff in the carb to make it run rough. the tiller has a factory installed bumper on it and theres no way that it could have been struck on impact. it ran fine befoe the accident. any help would be appreciated . thanks ray

No theres a bumperin the front of the tiller that goes all the way across the front of the tiller to protect the carb an the choke is opening and close like normal.

Hello ray, I have that same engine, bought as a used take-off and put on my air compressor. I think they have the carb set so lean that it barely runs right to begin with, so even the tinyist peice of crud will screw it up. Mine has a manual choke lever, and when it is acting up I find it runs better with one or two clicks of choke. If yours also runs better with a little choke, you've got a "carbuncle" in the main jet. Drop the bowl and blast it with gumout or compressed air up into the hole where the bolt goes. Good luck.

thanks Roger, thats what my simplicity dealer which also sells the troybilt tilers told me. he says that they run so lean that the govenor surges searching for fuel or the correct air to fuel mixture. He also says that the backfiring could be the valves may need to be adjusted. and it does seem to run better with the choke slightly closed.I had the fuel bowl off and i sprayed carb cleaner into the main jet tube and also some air. the dealer says that it will likely work its way out or the valves need adjusted.

Is there any way linkage/cables could have become bent/kinked so that the choke is staying on full, after it starts firing? Is it smoking black?