Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New guy with a 4040

Brighammer

Hey all. New guy here with a Simplicity 4040
I have had this tractor about 5 years. Last fall, I redid the head gaskets on the CCK engine(i can't recall which one it is...)

This spring, I have had small failure(ignition coil) after failure(new rear tires, to the tune of $350) after failure(Carburetor is now not wanting to work right, and is leaking around shaft...) after failure(charging system failure)

I have pretty much decided to do a repower on it, and was curious if anyone has any pros/cons on doing so? 

I use this tractor to maintain a small family farm/homestead, and have decided i can't afford to fall behind on the work to try to create an add-on charging system, only to still have a carburetor that only wants to work 75% of the time.

Glad to be here though!

Welcome aboard, Brigham.  You will find plenty of info herein regarding repowering your Powermax.  Small Engine Warehouse has a kit to install a Briggs 22 or 23 HP twin in your tractor but to my way of thinking, it is a little pricey.  I, myself, am in the process of repowering a 9020 with a Harbor Freight 22 HP Predator but it has not been without its challenges.  See my blog  ( https://simpletractors.com/blogs/entry/68-9020-restoreresurection/?tab=comments#comment-169 )but there is plenty more info elsewhere. )

PS:  I see you are in Oregon, only about two hours from me.  Good to have someone closer (sort of).

Edited by wwbragg
P.S.
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, wwbragg said:

I, myself, am in the process of repowering a 9020 with a Harbor Freight 22 HP Predator but it has not been without its challenges.  

PS:  I see you are in Oregon, only about two hours from me.  Good to have someone closer (sort of).

Hey good to meet ya!
I had toyed with Harbor Freight repower(the price on the engine is right!) but after doing a diesel swap project in my little pickup(Not tractor related, but still. it was an accomplishment... https://www.oilburners.net/threads/my-current-obsession-1991-85-mazdabishi.84990/ ) I really like the idea of pretty straight bolt-up swap where someone has done all the engineering already and have been eyeballing that small engine warehouse kit...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brighammer said:

where someone has done all the engineering

Yeah, that definitely goes in the + Column.  If I had it to do over gain, and if I had the money, and if I weren't such a masochist, and if I didn't want to learn how to weld, and especially if I were pressed for time, maybe I would do it differently.  

• Thanks 1

Although... After seeing your engine platform, i am rethinking my direction... I have found a flywheel adapter for $75 and a crank shaft adapter for $55. 

I'm sure I could manage to make the engine platform easy enough. The final piece of fab would be the clutch mounting plate for my front loader clutch. Or I could make a dedicated hub/pulley and not run a clutch. 

But $900 sure seems easier for my wallet to stomach than $1900...

1 hour ago, Brighammer said:

I have found a flywheel adapter for $75

Are you SURE the adaptor is for the Predator to Powermax??  The Powermax fiber disk is different than on other machines.

13 hours ago, wwbragg said:

Are you SURE the adaptor is for the Predator to Powermax??  The Powermax fiber disk is different than on other machines.

No, I'm not 100% sure. But I found a different one for $50. so I'll take a chance i think. I'm an idiot like that. lol

Got an adapter in. It's from that performance 670 place and is for a John Deere 309 series. Gonna have to take it to a machine shop and get another pair of holes drilled in it(with a 2 5\8 spread instead of the 2 3\4 spread it has now) and have them tapped for 3\8 instead of 5\16. I'm gonna mow my fields and till my garden one more time and then start yarding out the motor

KIMG1279.JPG

KIMG1280.JPG

KIMG1278.JPG

43 minutes ago, wwbragg said:

Me too.

At least I'll only be into it $100 if they won't allow me to exchange it. 

This is how it starts...

• 1 month later...

Well they wouldn't allow an exchange. So I sold it on eBay instead. Made some progress this weekend. 

Got the Onan out. Anyone want it? Taking adapter to machinist tomorrow. 

KIMG1396.JPG

KIMG1395.JPG

KIMG1394.JPG

If the engine is still available, I'll take it depending on price. I have a JD316 with an engine that smokes like you wouldn't believe!

I live in NE Oregon.

• Like 1

I had to notch the frame at the front of the tractor\pto shaft side of engine. About 3\8" deep, 3\4" tall and 6" wide. This allowed me to get the motor where I needed it and all pulleys to line up. I used a 4 1\2" grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Waiting on new belts and then it's going together.

Got the motor mounted and hooked up to the front hydraulic pump(no clutch) and the PTO shaft and pulley. Right now the engine starts with it's own switch and choke, while the throttle is hooked to the original cable. Knocked out a baffle in the hood and it closes fully after removing the heat shield. I need to put a hole in the side of the hood above the "S" for the exhaust(don't worry. Prior owner already put in slots for his custom exhaust. It's already been violated). But I'm satisfied. The needle drops just below zero when the clutch is engaged. Possibly will need to add an alternator. But it's still cheaper than a Honda repower!

Final pic shows where I had to clearance the frame for the "front" of the engine. 

I am not sure I've ever been so excited to mow my field!

KIMG1417.JPG

KIMG1416.JPG

IMG_20190614_192501_01_01.jpg

KIMG1418.JPG

KIMG1413.JPG

• Like 2

Well... It was running and driving... Rear wheel looked like it was at an odd angle... And it was... The outer wheel bearing had no rollers left and the inner fell apart as soon as it was free. Got those and the seal at NAPA.

The 2nd picture is what's supposed to be the bearing labeled p\n 15 in the 3rd pic. No more bearing there and it's an NLA part. 

Supposedly Messicks tractor(Kubota and new Holland dealer has one, as well as the gasket. I ordered it so we'll see I guess.

KIMG1428.JPG

KIMG1429.JPG

Screenshot_20190616-103217.png

If you strike out with Messicks on that Bearing, Norm from isavetractors recently did a video on replacing that bearing, its on youtube.  I believe its Koyo MH-16161  but please confirm.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MercerRec said:

If you strike out with Messicks on that Bearing, Norm from isavetractors recently did a video on replacing that bearing, its on youtube

Funny thing is I watched that video for the stator rewind portion because that is how I started down this engine swap road in the first place!

Also I wanted to give a huhe thanks to @wwbragg for linking me to his blog post on his rebuild(where he conveniently listed all the measurements I needed) and @MercerRec for sending me some pics of his Honda conversion to make sure I was barking up the right tree. Gotta love the community spirit, welcoming a new guy in!

• Thanks 1