Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

712H steering very tight

OrangeMetalGuy

My 712H (that I had kept under wraps after restoring but am now going to use as my mowing tractor) has really tight steering.  Even with the front end jacked up & wheels off the ground, it feels like it's binding.

No debris in the quadrant area, and I've lubed the grease fittings on the spindles and steering gear underneath.  Light coat of oil on the steering gear.

Where do I start?  I'd be thrilled to get it to turn as easily as my 716 (factory, doesn't have the poor man's power steering).

unhook drag arm and turn tires back and forth is that also stiff?   with drag ink unhookded turn wheel is that still?  - lube the tight area

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrangeMetalGuy said:

My 712H (that I had kept under wraps after restoring but am now going to use as my mowing tractor) has really tight steering.  Even with the front end jacked up & wheels off the ground, it feels like it's binding.

No debris in the quadrant area, and I've lubed the grease fittings on the spindles and steering gear underneath.  Light coat of oil on the steering gear.

Where do I start?  I'd be thrilled to get it to turn as easily as my 716 (factory, doesn't have the poor man's power steering).

This is the best solution I've found.  One handed effortless steering @ break neck speeds.

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/24786-steering-box-rehabilitation/?tab=comments#comment-319661

10 hours ago, CVSB10JCS said:

ifound that the BUSHING above the gears is dry, spray steering shaft and it it run down

Common problem, it will need lots of spray lube and working the steering wheel back and forth, to work the lube into the bushing.  At least gravity is on your side to work the lube in.

• Like 2

I know that it's a lot of work, but when I rebuilt my 917H, I removed the complete steering box.  It was disassembled and cleaned.  A new bushing was purchased, and a hole was drilled and tapped (same thread spec as a flexible grease gun hose).  A flexible grease gun hose was threaded into the tapped hole, and routed under the gas tank.  Also, the appropriate size thrust washers and bearings, were put above and below the bushing.

A couple of pumps of grease per year, keeps the shaft and bushing well lubricated.  This modification, and the addition of the same thrust washers and bearings to the steering spindles, makes steering this tractor extremely easy.  No, it's not power steering, but it's the next best thing.  And, you can steer the tractor if the engine isn't running.

I sprayed and sprayed and turned and turned my 710 with no improvement. It is best to pull the steering box and take it apart for cleaning, de-rust treatment and adjustment. Rust will get between the adjustment plate and bushing and basically just lock it up.