Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC710

Fuel tank leaking at fitting

AC710

The fuel tank fitting on the bottom of the tank is leaking on my 7016. It just drips a little, but I don't want to park it inside. 

How does the barbed hose fitting attach to these plastic fuel tanks? I can look inside the tank and see a tubular screen on the top of the fitting, but can't tell if there is a nut or gasket or it is just pressed in. There is also a big rubber bushing on the outside of the fitting that I assume is to protect it from the shelf it sits on. The service manual seems to have no info on servicing these.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is there a sealant that will work or can it be serviced? I don't want to tear things up without knowing how to proceed. Thanks

fuel fitting.jpg

fuel tank.jpg

MikeES

I have always just replaced the rubber grommet.  Pull the metal fitting wiggle it out, it will either come out leaving  the grommet behind or will pull out grommet and all.

I get the grommet (fuel tank bushing) from NAPA part # 7-07461, it replaces Simplicity # 1654930

Fits 33/64" hole.

AC710

I got it apart with no problem, so all is well.  The grommet was split so that is why it was leaking. I'll check with NAPA tomorrow for the part.

In past experience I have done some things like this thinking I knew how it worked and regretted not knowing beforehand how it was put together - stripped threads, broken keys, etc. It's really great to have this resource where folks who have done it before can help out. THANKS!

• Like 2

AC710

Stopped at NAPA this morning and they had the grommet on the shelf, no problem. He didn't even have to look it up. Evidently it is not that unusual of a request, however our NAPA store is the local guy owner whose people know how to find stuff and help you out. I just learned that the owner is retiring  wah so I hope he passes it on to someone who will keep up the good work! 

MikeES
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, AC710 said:

Stopped at NAPA this morning and they had the grommet on the shelf, no problem. He didn't even have to look it up. Evidently it is not that unusual of a request,

On the NAPA package it shows that this fuel tank bushing is used on many different machines, Snapper, Toro, Wheelhorse...

PhanDad
5 hours ago, GregB said:

Can you post the NAPA number?

@MikeES posted it above:

I get the grommet (fuel tank bushing) from NAPA part # 7-07461, it replaces Simplicity # 1654930

jlasater

On my 716H, I had the implement lift shaft grab the fuel line and pull it part way out of a half-full tank of fuel. Yikes. I ended up routing the fuel line in such a way that it would hold, but really wanted the right-angle fitting that goes into the fuel tank bushing instead. Stens had them on Amazon for cheap. Now it's routed properly. The parts book shows the right-angle fitting, but mine came with the straight one, just as the original post showed.

AC710

Here is how I routed the fuel line to the new fitting. There is enough space below the tank even with the straight fitting to  come out above the main frame. A PO left me with the nice shutoff valve so I wanted to keep that in the line and tied it to the air horn.

fuel line .jpg

• Like 1

dhoadley

Went to cut with the A/C917H yesterday and lost half a tank of fuel over the past week! Pulled the tank and the grommet swiveled easily in the hole at the bottom. Removed it and went to NAPA (I remember this post from earlier) and they didn't have one on hand, but ordered one for cheap. Went back and cut the grass with the Simp 707. Always have at least 2 working mowers in the spring!

jlasater

Yep, dhoadley! I have four by three different manufacturers, but the Simplicity/AC's are the best!

I got a Kohler brand fuel tank bushing on the recommendation of a local repair shop but thought it was a bit loose...just didn't feel snug. Well...after I put fuel in the tank you can guess the rest.

Off to buy the NAPA part tomorrow.

Edited by jlasater

jlasater

Just confirming that the NAPA part is THE one to get. The fuel line metal fitting is a tight fit into it, unlike the Kohler part I got. Sten's also has 90deg fuel tank fittings as well for cheap, that will keep the fuel line out of the deck lift mechanism, which is what cause my problems. Sten's part on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MLN66VZ

MikeES

While we are talking about gas tanks, this is something I do to all of my RBT as soon as I acquire one.  I have posted this before, it allows you to swing the gas tank out of the way to do any under dash work, without disconnecting the gas line.  If you have ever tried to remove the gas line from the tank or have tried to pull an old stiff gas line up through the hole in the gas tank saddle you know what a pain is it, and can easily damage a tank bushing.

This is done with a saber saw.

TRgascut1.jpg

TRgascut2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MrSteele
On 4/29/2019 at 12:07 PM, AC710 said:

He didn't even have to look it up. Evidently it is not that unusual of a request, however our NAPA store is the local guy owner whose people know how to find stuff and help you out. I just learned that the owner is retiring  wah so I hope he passes it on to someone who will keep up the good work! 

I live in a community north of the Tennessee River, St. Florian, AL. My parts store for small engines is in Tuscumbia, AL, across the river, and about 7 miles further than the one on this side of the river. Why is mine across the river and further away? The one on this side, though larger, is run by idiots. Even with Model, Code and Serial number, they cannot find parts. Usually, across the river, I simply tell them what I am looking for, no lookup, we have a good conversation, aggravation, shooting of the breeze, possibly even give advice. A friendly atmosphere to say the least. When someone goes in with me, there is always the question " you cannot find anyone better to ride around with?"

I buy shop supplies and car parts at a store across the river as well for the same reason. To get the the car parts store, I pass O'riely's, Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts. My store sells me what I ask for, does not try to sell me something else, even though something else might be cheaper. One man on the counter still uses paper catalogs, the younger uses both computer and catalogs. Take care of the Mom and Pops. When they are gone, there goes a lot of knowledge, and you will get what the box stores want to sell you, not necessarily what you want

• Like 1

AC710
On 5/8/2019 at 11:18 AM, jlasater said:

that will keep the fuel line out of the deck lift mechanism, which is what cause my problems.

AHA! I see in Mike ES's photo what you're talking about with the deck lift mechanism - On both my tractors the solid main frame tunnel blocks any interference between the fuel line and rockshaft or any of that bundle of goodies underneath. You can't even make them get in the same place. So I was wondering how that was a problem, but now I see some models are open under there. learn something new every day. I do like the idea of cutting out the groove for easier access, too.