Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 716-6 mower deck

jfmolter

Hi All,

Well now that I have the lifting/turning hardware done for my snow plow I decided to install the mower deck and see how the tractor mows.

I got about 50 feet and the deck belt smoked and seized up killing the engine. when I checked the belt it was chewed up pretty good and had slipped of of the PTO and was stuck between the pulley and the side of the frame, had to cut the belt in two to get it out,

Now I need to find out what belt it takes, the old belt measures 71 1/2 inches. I'll go ahead and change the belt on the deck for the blades while i'm at it.

I did change out the idler pulley on the deck with a generic one, a little narrower but looked like it would work ok.

Now i need to see if I can get the right belts for this deck, i'm sure this is not the original, it has the splined shafts.

I'm sure that I have done something wrong as the PO said he had not had any problems with the mower.

I guess i'll start with that generic idler and then go through the procedures for leveling the deck and make sure all of the pulleys are aligning.

Does anyone have any pointers to help get this deck working right?

On the deck, lube the pivot for the arm that carries the idler pulley.  They sometimes seize.  For the belt running from the tractor to the deck, at least on the later tractors there are 2 positions for the idler pulley, one for the mower and another for the snow blower.  You can look at the belt routing to see what runs correctly.  Also there is a decal with red and green colors (behind the arm carrying the idler) to show the correct belt tension.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, I freed that arm up and greased it when i changed out the pulley.

I'll check out the other idler and tension, thanks again for the info.

Pretty sure the 716's did not have two pto idler positions.  As for the colors sticker for belt tension, I can wipe mine off when I get home this afternoon.

I pulled the deck this morning and took the belt covers off, the belt looks pretty good, the idler is working and is loose and free.

I did find the number on the deck under some paint and tape.

the deck number is 1690271,  my question is where can I find the belt part numbers for the blade belt and the drive belt?

MFG# 1690271 is a 42" deck; you're running the same setup as I do with my 7016H.  And as @GregB said, the tractor doesn't have a 2 position idler setup or the "red/green/red" sticker for proper belt tension that the 7100 series tractors have.  

That said, the OEM spec belts are part #1656960 (84.1" HA belt) for the arbor drive and part #176439 (74.1" HA belt).  

However, I've found that the 74" belt is a little long and it tends to get chewed up by the movable PTO pulley hitting the belt at times.  So I've switched to a 73" belt and haven't had belt chewing since.  I don't think anything is bent, but I've only owned the 7016H for a couple years.  Some pics of the different belts:

IMG_9256.thumb.JPG.a98246a162bdc1870a4855abd6010e7d.JPG

IMG_9255.thumb.JPG.6dcc90942ca4be0717d8b76a2ec9c749.JPG

A Simplicity belt part #1726417 (73.24") is the closest you'll find.  I'm running this belt OK so far:

https://www.vbelts4less.com/A71K--A-Section-Kevlar-K-Plus-V-Belts-4LK7304L730K_p_12597.html

• Thanks 1

PhanDad,

Thanks for the info on the belts.

I was having a hard time trying to figure out why the drive belt that I cut off of the mower was 71.5 inches long and all the numbers called for longer belts. Then it dawned on me, some PO had used a 4L belt instead of an HA belt from the PTO to the deck and because the 4L belt would ride lower in the pulleys it needed to be a little shorter.

I followed your link and bought the 73.25" belt, will let you know how it works out and thanks again, without your help I probably would have bought a 4L belt @ 71.5" and wondered why I kept tearing up belts.

You sure saved me a lot of trouble and aggravation!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 4:19 PM, PhanDad said:

MFG# 1690271 is a 42" deck; you're running the same setup as I do with my 7016H.  And as @GregB said, the tractor doesn't have a 2 position idler setup or the "red/green/red" sticker for proper belt tension that the 7100 series tractors have.  

That said, the OEM spec belts are part #1656960 (84.1" HA belt) for the arbor drive and part #176439 (74.1" HA belt).  

However, I've found that the 74" belt is a little long and it tends to get chewed up by the movable PTO pulley hitting the belt at times.  So I've switched to a 73" belt and haven't had belt chewing since.  I don't think anything is bent, but I've only owned the 7016H for a couple years.  Some pics of the different belts:

IMG_9256.thumb.JPG.a98246a162bdc1870a4855abd6010e7d.JPG

IMG_9255.thumb.JPG.6dcc90942ca4be0717d8b76a2ec9c749.JPG

A Simplicity belt part #1726417 (73.24") is the closest you'll find.  I'm running this belt OK so far:

https://www.vbelts4less.com/A71K--A-Section-Kevlar-K-Plus-V-Belts-4LK7304L730K_p_12597.html

Got the deck belt the other day, thought it would be a (HA) profile belt, turned out to be a 4L.

Got the belt put on and started to level the deck and found out that the PO had removed the spacers on the leveling arms and had them bolted up with 3/8 bolts. That made for a lot of slop in the arms and impossible to level. got some spacers from local dealer and got the deck leveled up and the height adjusted. the deck belt looks to be running at a bit of an angle as many on here have commented about.

Didn't really need to mow the yard yet,  but made a round yesterday and everything looks to be working fine.

Thanks so much for all of the help, couldn't have got it done as easily without it.

• Like 1

My late model 716H does have two positions available on the tensioner spring. I forgot and left it set for the snowblower and blew a mower deck belt in just a couple minutes. It was WAY too tight in that position.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You should have two pulleys on your PTO.  Make sure to put the belt on the one closest to the frame rail (the inside pulley).

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back.

the new belt i installed in May only lasted for 6 mowings of less than 1/2 acre.

not a happy camper!

belt was pulled over between the PTO pulley and the side rail again and destroyed, had to cut it up to get it out.

Now i'm wondering if it's the difference between the 4L belt and the HA belt profile thats the problem.

So, what do you guys think, should I get a OEM HA belt?

Thanks in advance on any help the community can give me on this problem.

Edited by jfmolter

I'm using Gates Power-Rated belts with decent life span on my 716. Make sure you don't have the spring tensioner/lever mechanism set to the bolt hole with the most tension. I did, as I mentioned, and it killed belts very quickly. After fixing that, I get a couple years out of a belt mowing a decent size lawn. Check the belt alignment as well...look down from above the PTO drive pulley and make sure the belts isn't coming off sideways to the other two pulleys.