Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GDM22058

Finally got my 7016 going:now I have some questions

GDM22058

Good evening everyone

So after a little bit of work, I got my 1975(ish) 7016 non hydo running awesome. I refurbished the deck and got it installed. I do have some questions I hope you all can help with:

1. Is it normal for the PTO to have a "gear scratch" sound when it's being engaged or disengaged? It's for a split second.

2. The front seal on my bevel gear drive leaks. Im going to run it for the year (and keep it full). I have a 3012V and was thinking of pulling that bevel gear box out, rebuilding it, and putting it in my 7016. Is the bevel gear box between the 7016 and 3312 the same? 

3. Does anyone have any pictures of the drive belt set up on a non hydro 7016? I'm thinking some belt stops might be missing on my tractor and want to make sure everything is there. 

Thanks for all the help that can be given.

IMG_20190409_112543079_HDR.jpg

Brettw

Welcome to the club!  As far as answers to your questions:

1) What you are hearing is the cone clutch barking a bit.  It's normal, and the clutch should be firmly and relatively quickly engaged.  You don't have to poun it in at wide open throttle, but it should engage hard.

2) The BGB front seal may leak, but if it is significant, it may mean a wobbling shaft / bad bearing.  Also, if too light of oil is being used, that may contribute.  You should be running a 80/90 weight gear oil in the BGB.

3) Can't help you with the pics right now, but I don't believe there are "belt stops" on the drive belt, just a pulley cover that acts as the same.  If it's missing, I think I have one around here.

Again, welcome aboard.  Git 'er runnin' good, and you will not be disappointed !

• Like 2

ShaunE

One addition to what Brett said above.

You have mentioned above that you are wondering about the compatibility between two BGB's.  The models you mention above are a 7016, 3312 & 3012V.

The 7016 & 3312 would take the same box however the cross shafts would be different as the 7016 uses the cone clutch & the 3312 uses a belt pulley setup like the earlier FDT's.

The 3012V BGB is not the same as the above two as it is machined for smaller bearings & uses 3/4" shafts rather than the 7/8" shafts & the gears are different I.D.'s as well.

@Bill725 has researched this very thoroughly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GDM22058

Yeah I changed the fluid in the bevel gear box with Lucas 80/90. I also changed the rear end also and noticed it seems to be happier. 

That's too bad that the two won't interchange. I have a 3012V for parts for my 2210. I was hoping it would work so I could pull it, rebuild it, and swap over the winter. Simplicities are kinda far and few between here in MN. I guess it will be a tear out and rebuild. 

I'm glad to hear the PTO engagement chatter is normal. 

• Like 1